LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT Wagon

kla25

Hi I am new to the forum. Yesterday I just purchased an 05 LGT Wagon with 102900 miles for $7300 pending on inspection on Tuesday. This will be my first subaru, just want to know if there's anything else I should ask for? I test drove it and it seems pretty good at the time. ride was smooth. Only thing was the hand break light was switching on and off from time to time. I read that it could be the break fluid is kind of low. I am including the vin and website so if you guys see any other thing I didn't notice, please let me know. Thank you so much. I hope this will work out since I am super excited about the car.

vin 4S3BP686854335748

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/2546658201.html

Sounds like a pretty good price. Does the owner have any of the maintenance records? Was the car ever modded and if so was it tuned for the mods? Based on the seller's description it looks like you'll be hard pressed to get that information since it seems like they just purchased it. If it was me with that mileage I would get an independent inspection. One more thing, at that mileage you're basically due for the TB service. Good luck.

i don't think he has any records, the car wasn't modded. according to car fax, no accident, everything look good from the carfax report. I am taking it to a shop that i know right next to my work tuesday. the sale is pending base on the inspection there. how much will the tb service cost? tb meaning turbo? sorry i am kind of a newb. not too familiar w/ the car yet.

Not the Turbo - Timing Belt service. It's typically done at 105k miles. You don't really want to push it much beyond that. The service includes the Belt, Water Pump and you should do the tensioner pulleys as well. The job is a bit pricey since it's fairly labor intensive but you're looking at roughly $700-$800.

O, yeah. He mentioned he wasn't sure the timing belt was done or not. I m assuming it isn't, which is fine. So since we were talking about turbo, will I need to change that soon too? I know they eventually fail. How much does that usually cost?

Depends on which way you go. If you want to go stock you can usually pick up a pretty good used one on here (or NAISOC) for around $400-$500 (VF40/VF46, with reasonably low mileage). Labor will most likely run you another $350-$450. It really depends on what your plans on for the car. If you're looking to keep it stock, or only slightly modded that would be your best approach.

You can check the turbo by pulling it off and checking for shaft play. You can ask the mechanic to check the turbo during the inspection. It requires pulling the TMIC (simple, quick job) and then removing the inlet and a few bolt from the Downpipe. It may cost you more for the inspection but IMO it would be well worth it. Also, not sure what the inspection is you're having done but I would make sure there is a compression test done as well.

Ic, those are very good info. Thank you so much for everything. I will keep what you said in mind. I'm super excited about the purchase and hopefully the inspection turns out well. I recently totaled my xterra so wasn't even looking for a car till last Thursday. I think I'm pretty lucky to find this. I was looking for something that gives me a lil better gas mileage, but still a awd, and somewhat more space than a regular sedan. The lgt Wagon is definitely a perfect fit for me.

I gather this is an automatic, not a 5mt ?

You can check shaft play by just removing the DP.

I just posted a video in the 4th gen forum with my oem turbo at 142,000 miles. I just put a VF52 in the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived