LegacyGT.com

Time for a new turbo?

So I went out for my first ever autocross today and as I'm sitting in grid, I notice that my car was puffing bluish-white smoke. My first run consisted of large puffs of smoke when I get back on the gas after a turn. I popped the hood and the smoke was coming from around the turbo and out of the exhaust. I made the second run and the smoke wasn't as bad. Third run it was pretty clean. I thought maybe it was just some built up oil from blow by being burnt off because I don't normally beat on my car. Then we break for lunch. I came back for my second heat of 3 runs and ended up dropping out because any time I tapped the gas, it would send a small puff or smoke.

A few people suggest a leaking/blown turbo seal? So oil is getting into the exhaust housing of the turbo and causing it to burn off and out the exhaust and some leaking out from around the turbo area.

Obviously the car is parked and waiting on me to decide what to do. Does anyone have other suggestions? I'm not much of a diagnoser, but I'll be able to turn the wrenches and swap a turbo or look for issues with the turbo (shaft play, bent fins, etc)

It's cool; I'm with the band

Take off the DP and see what you find? That is the easiest way to know. Then go from there.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Archived