LegacyGT.com

Brake Pedal feels Mushy!

My right front caliper was a rusted hunk of junk so I decided to put new calipers, rotors, and pads on today. The rotors were just some advance auto parts, the pads Wagner Ceramics, and the Calipers refurbished OEM.

So After changing everything I took her for a test drive, and the pedal was mushy as all get out. I could pump the pedal and it would get firmer.

My thought is maybe all of the new surfaces are breaking in,and maybe ceramics feel mushy when new.

The other thought is I didn't bleed as well as I thought I did. Any thoughts?

• I Donated
Bleed ALL 4 brakes. I usually open up each bleeder and let them gravity bleed for 10 minutes....then close them all and force bleed each one in the following order RR, RL, FR, FL

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Yeah just let all 4 wheels gravity bleed for a bit. then close the bleeders and have a friend pump the pedal...then hold it while you crack open each bleeder getting the air out.

You still have air somewhere in teh system.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The reason the .pdf procedures calls for the RF-LR sequence is so that you do the brakes operated by the secondary MC chamber first. The LF-RR sequence is so that the brakes operated by the primary MC chamber are properly bled second. If you do the RR-LR-RF-LF sequence, then you're not getting each chamber fully bled in sequence which logically could allow some cross-chamber air to bleed across the brake circuits.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 year later...
Any time you replace your pads and rotors you have to burnish the pads to the rotors. It's very easy, just drive 40mph then hit the brakes hard. Repeat 4-5 times then drive around for 15 mins being easy on the brakes, driving after burnishing them will cool everything down. Don't worry about if they smoke its normal. If you do both bleeding and burnishing the brakes and still feel soft then remove the two nuts that hold the master cylinder to the brake booster and check for MC leaks. If so replace it and bench bleed the master along with all four corners. GL.

I just had to do this when I replaced my suspension (WHY DO THEY NOT LET YOU DISCONNECT THE BRAKE LINE FROM THE STRUT) and I had to bleed all 4, after successfully snapping the two rear brake lines (midwest problems) and snapping off both of the bleeder screws in the rear (after heat and penetrating oil) and replacing BOTH rear wheel cylinders (by the way if you do most parts stores said their discontinued but the sedan ones are the same as wagons) then I was able to achieve a stiffy.

Aero Kroil for your stuck bits. Seriously puts PBB and ALL of the other penetrating oils to shame. Loosens stuff that are so rusted together they look and act like one piece. Check out the two-for-one offer in the link. Keep one in your car and one in your garage.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

One other thing I noticed that scared me the other day...when the car is cold I have ABSOLUTELY NO BRAKES! Almost went into traffic on Eola road by my house, I do not know if thise helps anyone. From what I know, I need to get the car in somewhere I can really look at it...Chicago weather doesnt allow that very much

I burnished the pads and rotors, and bled all 4 wheels. I am looking to upgrade the brakes soon to the wrx and h6 upgrade with SS lines. I hope its no the booster!

Haha yeah I know annoying person here! (me)

I am trying to do that this sunday, need a new bleed screw for the rear left. Really, I would like to upgrade to wrx front, and h6 rear...but not quite yet. i jsut want my pedal solid again.

I am near naperville/aurora area. I know around about where you are. You ever travel out this way?

Haha yeah I know annoying person here! (me)

I am trying to do that this sunday, need a new bleed screw for the rear left. Really, I would like to upgrade to wrx front, and h6 rear...but not quite yet. i jsut want my pedal solid again.

I am near naperville/aurora area. I know around about where you are. You ever travel out this way?

rarely, I work in Vernon Hills. And I'm in Niles alot at the Roadhouse bar. That's about as close as I get haha!

Hey if you want to start coming to alot of Chicago car meets, we have a forum for all the chicago car lovers.

jdmchicago.com

they throw alot of awesome events out here.

Archived