LegacyGT.com

What kind of transmission is in this Colin McRae rally car?

Soda Popinski

It's a nitrogen actuated Prodrive sequential dogbox. Last time I called them, they were asking $45K (USD) for the kit.

Most US racers that have sequential boxes run the KAPS sequential gearset, which is less expensive than Prodrive. Some use standard gearboxes with a KAPS sequential shifter added on, but that's mostly for ease of figuring things out (an H-pattern in high performance, aggressive track or rally use is not as easy as one might think).

Edit: I didn't see that he wasn't in his Subaru. I still believe he was using a Prodrive box, though. He and Prodrive were partners in crime for a long time.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Side note: that car (or one of its twins) is on display at DirtFish Rally School...I peeked inside, and down at the back of the engine bay was a glittering black bit of pretty...it was the carbon fiber bell housing for this transmission. No wonder they want $45k for it! :eek::eek:

Another note: right next to the Focus is one of Richard Burns's Imprezas :wub:

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Side note: that car (or one of its twins) is on display at DirtFish Rally School...I peeked inside, and down at the back of the engine bay was a glittering black bit of pretty...it was the carbon fiber bell housing for this transmission. No wonder they want $45k for it! :eek::eek:

Another note: right next to the Focus is one of Richard Burns's Imprezas :wub:

damn... kinda a shame to let it sit and rot then lol

KAPS makes one. But it's a LINKAGE assembly, not a real-deal sequential kit. The internal bits of the transmission are still stock.

The ikeya kit is just like the KAPS one.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

im sure I'm way off, but isn't the 5eat with paddle shift in essence an automatic 'sequential' shift (paddles only?)

Not even remotely close.

I would argue it is in concept since you can't really skip gears, at least not all the time. The only instance I can think of being able to, is to go from 5th straight into 3rd when downshifting. I think you can also skip 2nd and go from 3rd to 1st but that's rough :lol:

Isn't that what sequential means in concept? You go up or down through gears in a linear fashion instead of having full control over your H.

As far as build, however, there is nothing common about them internally speaking.

The video shows Colin in the Focus (obviously) which had a different set up than any Prodrive car. The Subaru sequential had the crazy electronics for the diffs and yes was a dog box. It also was a full paddle assembly with a stick lever for emergencies. The Ford was an similar to the Prodrive system in that it was a sequential but how it shifted was the main difference. If you held the shifter a little longer to downshift it would go to 1. The idea was if you got stuck it wasn't hard to get restarted. Colin had a ton of issues with the Ford box as the system broke a lot and he had to go back to shifting manually. Only when Gronholm finally joined in 2003 (? I beleive at least) did M Sport really work out a lot of the kinks in the system. By 2005 they already moved to a new version. The Ford trans in 1999 and 2000 was developed by an ex Prodrive engineer but I don't know how much he brought from the Subaru world.

3:46 of that video is the best.

The black handle on the right is the handbrake. The white lever is the backup shifter. I believe that is a nitrogen shifted trans as well. If the pneumatic system fails, the white lever is used as backup.

Archived