LegacyGT.com

Oddity with my air filter...

BAC5.2

Wait, what? You're confusing me!

Your posts sound like you used to have 14 pleats with good gas mileage. and then you went to the dealer and now all they have are 25 pleat ones which suck.

Isn't that what you meant?? :confused:

Exact opposite. I tried the few pleat one, and got horrid economy.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I hate you. ;)

I should also note, that I used one of the latter filters for about a hundred or so miles and got the worst fuel economy the car has ever gotten, around 18mpg
You should edit that, because in your first post, the latter filter means the one with 25 pleats.

edit:

Wait, what? And this too!

That's still 23 pleats to the 14 of the one I have...
My filter looks like this, which has many fewer plies than the recent replacements.

It's like you completely reversed your position on this... :confused: even more now. Mike from AZP even reasons out that fewer pleats might mean more air flow (better MPG) but less filtration whereas more pleats might mean cleaner air and less flow (worse MPG) and you agreed.

Dangit. Your right. My current one DOES have fewer pleats, not more.

One of those days.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It's easy, just go to the dealership parts department and ask for an air filter. Open the box and see if it is either the high or low count pleats. Once you find one with the lower count, buy it.

I've done this with my local subie parts guy and they have no problem with it. Multiple subies use the same size filter, but with different pleats. The low one is what you want even if subaru changes the part numbers on us. I've had issues in the past with my fuel trims when I used the high pleat count filter.

Archived