LegacyGT.com

Do any of you use fuel additives?

I was just curious if any of you use any fuel additives and if so which ones.

I have always used Chevron Techron in my other cars and found that it performed as advertised. Does anyone know how this will play with a Subaru turbo engine?

It will be fine by my estimation. I have been using it in my Impreza for nearly a decade and no ill effects. It will have NO impact on the turbo if that is your concern as it is purely a fuel additive. The only potential issue I could foresee is if you run a low octane fuel thinking this will help 'boost' the rating. That will not happen realistically with this or any other product on the market. You might also consider not using it if you have an aggressive tune. Just my opinion.

Lucas oil upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner. I found it to work quite well without the stigma and potential ill effects of fuel additives. I really find it to work as advertised: smoother running and 1-2 mpgs

1) There are very few stations in my area anymore that sell gasoline without any ethanol in it, which is a PITA for those of us with older/"classic" cars since the ethanol degrades rubber components in the fuel system.

2) An old albeit sleazy trick for gas station owners to make a little more profit margin was/is to add water to their holding tanks to dilute the gasoline while charging the same amount for it.

Didn't mean to offend you, apexi...it were a joke :)

Lucas oil upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner. I found it to work quite well without the stigma and potential ill effects of fuel additives. I really find it to work as advertised: smoother running and 1-2 mpgs

How frequently?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I've used a few of the Lucas products and honestly, I haven't seen a difference. Maybe that's a good thing. I like their booster better than other boosters though. Might not be good for cats. I don't really know. Injector cleaner as well: haven't noticed any issues with the injectors so maybe that means its working. Maybe that means I didn't need it. Seafoam seemed to help the most but that was minimal. I 'm becoming less and less a believer in mechanic-in-a-bottle crap though. I have read that the Lucas octane booster can raise octane levels up to 6 points but you can't believe anything you read on them internees.

^If your not tuned for a higher octane, your not gaining any performance. You might gain a little knock protection, but a solid tune for the pump fuel you are running is better for that purpose.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Right. I basically ran it to check if it would reduce the knock sum I was seeing just in case there might be anything going on. It didn't effect anything so it's probably just picking up random non-sense. It doesn't trip any feedback knock or FKLC so I stopped worrying about it and thus stopped using it. I don't do track days or anything so having it tuned for higher octane would be a royal PITA anyways.

I used to use BG 44K at each oil change, now I use nothing... I just try to fill at the same Conoco I was tuned on each time... Gas nowadays has so many additives in it that you're just pissing money down your leg by adding stuff if you buy quality gas...

I used to use BG 44K at each oil change, now I use nothing... I just try to fill at the same Conoco I was tuned on each time... Gas nowadays has so many additives in it that you're just pissing money down your leg by adding stuff if you buy quality gas...

Exactly, additionally tuning or doing WOT tuning runs with any "cleaner" in your mixture is bad news. I ran the Redline cleaner in my 300 before a dyno tuning session, knocked like crazy. Emtpied the tank, refilled with a full tank of new Mobil 93 (still 10% corn) and problem solved.

I'm also leary of "octane boosters". Toluene is the only thing I'd consider running for an octane booster, and even then it's useless unless tuned for it.

Gas nowadays has so many additives in it that you're just pissing money down your leg by adding stuff if you buy quality gas...

My thought is, since I always run Shell 93 V-Power I am getting a decent amount of cleaners, true. But it's the same cleaners all the time. Every 7500 miles or so I throw in a bottle of techron to get a little "wider spectrum cleaning action". :lol: It's ~$7 and takes no time or talent.

I'd say 49 of my last 50 fills have been Shell 93. The odd one was Exxon 93.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I am personally not a fan of any "aftermarket" fuel additives, rather than add some who knows what to your fuel tank why not make certain you are getting premium fuel.

Toptiergas.com lists the companies in the US that adhere to higher standards on fuel production, and if you always purchase fuel from one of these stations, you should not have problems.

That being said every 30k I clean my injectors with a pressurized canister, use GM top engine cleaner to clean the carbon out of my engine. I am partial to GM top engine cleaner because I have seen what it does to stuck rings on Saturns, and it kicks butt.

Archived