LegacyGT.com

5MT ENgine To At Engine

Hey guys I'm looking at getting a new engine. I've found one for dirt cheap. Its a Ej22 But its from a AT car. I was wondering if there's anything i need to swap on the it from my engine for it to work right?

Thanks for any help Jaryd

here i amm.. you will have to do an egr delete on the new engine from the auto cause the 5 speed do not have egrs.. now im not sure, do the cars with 5speeds have intake manis with the ports? or just the autos?

Johnegg....where are you??

• I Donated
are you sure your ENgine has an EGR valve? My 5mt ENgine has one. I just went outside and looked at my ENgine and there is for sure an EGR on my ENgine. Maybe the one on your ENgine just isnt hooked up or something. Maybe your car had an ENgine swap before you owned it

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
what the mess is going on here. Someone give me a friggin answer! lol.

lol!

I THINK that you will have to add an EGR to to the 2.2. Ask the seller if it has an EGR on it or not.

Regardless.....you can do it the wrong way with EGR and be just fine since you don't have to pass emissions. All it will do is throw a check engine light

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

ok, i'm back. i just picked up a '00 lego wagon w/ 80k miles so i have been spending a little time over in the third gen area.

the ej22 95 - 98 from an AT car should have an EGR valve (and pipe connecting the intake to the driver side head). an engine from a MT car should not, although there is some evidence that they do exist. (my guess for the difference is that one engine NEEDS a little more help meeting the emissions numbers, just a guess.)

but 90 - 94 ej22s do not have EGRs. so it all depends on the year, trans of the ''new'' engine and the year and trans and model of the old engine.

so what are the details?

if you are putting it into a 98 outback, MT or AT you will need the EGR or you will have a CEL. as i mentioned , ej22s from 95 - 98 AT cars will have the needed EGR, engines form 95 - 98 MT cars will not.

chances are pretty good if it is coming out of an outback or GT that it has the EGR, but ask the seller if he had a CEL. the way to identify the EGR is to look on the driver side of the rear of the head. there will be a ''staple'' shaped tube / pipe that connects the intake to the head.

the engine in your 98 has one, go look for it.

the car will run fine without the egr, you just have to plug / cap any open tubes or hoses. but in some states, you can't pass an emissions or safety inspection with a CEL.

once you get the engine, there should be a VIN etched in to a rectangle on the bell housing on the passenger side, down low. the 10th letter will indicate the year.S=95, T=96, V=97, W=98, X=99, Z=00. anything before 95 (A-R) will not have the EGR.

Question. I have a 5MT Legacy L with a EJ25 swapped into it, and I believe it was the EJ25D. The egr valve hole on my intake manifold has a custom plate bolted to it, and I get no CEL. Is this unheard of?

Archived