LegacyGT.com

Towing a Uhaul 6x12 with a Legacy 2.5i Sedan?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh if it can pull it. It can pull it.

What's the difference between towing a trailer at 65 mph than driving 120 mph on the autobahn?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

What's the difference between towing a trailer at 65 mph than driving 120 mph on the autobahn?

Its not the TOWING thats the problem, its the starting, stopping, turning, bumps and crosswinds (and sway+hitch weight). Drive 120 on the autobahn from a stop and back to a stop over and over and over. Can a car do it? Sure. A machine can function right up to the point of breaking and not break but will sustain stresses when operated outside of engineered specs.

You already know this tho':lol:

I :wub: your LGT. Bet it can tow pretty well :lol:

The difference between towing trailer and driving 120 mph on autobahn is likely to be heat build up over time. Yes, you can drive in Germany at 120 mph for several hours, (according to Wikipedia, " A7 from the Denmark to the Austrian border with a length of 945 kilometer or 587 miles,) " but I doubt my Subaru is designed to do it.

Just consider the automatic transmission; it has slip which means it heats up. The greater the load, the more the heat. At 120 mph, the drive shaft torque needed to keep the car moving is probably at least four times that required for constant speed at 60 mph, hence four times the heat to be dissipated. Higher speed places the same load on drive train as driving up a hill. Witness how many cars don't make it up the I-5 Grape Vine in California for that reason.

Bottom line.. The Subaru may make it, but the next owner beware.

If you mean to load on the powertrain? Not much. To the cooling system, quite a bit.

Pulling a trailer isn't towing it. How much you can pull has as much to do with towing as "how much ya bench?" has to do with strength. I'll say it again: the best solution to Pinter's immediate problem is to lose the couch.

The difference between towing trailer and driving 120 mph on autobahn is likely to be heat build up over time. Yes, you can drive in Germany at 120 mph for several hours, (according to Wikipedia, " A7 from the Denmark to the Austrian border with a length of 945 kilometer or 587 miles,) " but I doubt my Subaru is designed to do it.

Just consider the automatic transmission; it has slip which means it heats up. The greater the load, the more the heat. At 120 mph, the drive shaft torque needed to keep the car moving is probably at least four times that required for constant speed at 60 mph, hence four times the heat to be dissipated.

the automatic has torque lockup. so meh not much heat is produced.

the 4 eat has a much tighter converter.

pulling a trailer is no diffrent than a spirited drive.

when pulling a trailer the driver SHOULD know to leave added room in front.

and accelerate a bit slower. take a little longer to arrive.

can the cooling system handle it ? on a stock 2.5i .. no problem..

there should be nothing you can do to make the needle budge !

i figure to keep a legacy rolling at 60 mph it takes 25 hp.

to keep it going at 120 mph probably 100hp depending on wind.

as for side loading from the trailer pushing you around.. no different than driving on a windy road. the tires take most of the abuse.

i used to pull 5 tonn haywagons around with my sunbird. haha it was pretty funny.

Our Uhaul guy incorrectly hooked up a 6x12 to my friend's F150 last year. We were headed to Chicago, and the trailer came off the ball, swinging by the chains and activating the trailer brake each time they pulled tight. It pulled the F150 across 2 lanes before we could pull off. Needless to say the lower rear of the truck was dented everywhere. Just some food for thought. It's good to know what COULD go wrong.

and ehsnils, you can confirm the size of trailers being towed in europe by fairly small cars.

they are limited to 100 kmph, but still .. two horse trailer being towed by a golf wagon !!. is a fairly common thing.

yes if you do have excessive toung weight its a bad thing. and a cop will probably pull you over. also you low beams will be pointing to the sky..

^ they twist the shit out of your hitch and your frame rails ..

does it realy matter .. well i don't like it .. but its common so i guess its ok. but i would rater put a bunch of weight in the back of the trailer to balance it

I have towed with my LGT quite a few times. It was my replacement truck(with the trailer) and besides weight, my old camper was about 6 feet wide and I couldn't see out of the mirrors, even with the added outside ones, only the convex mirros could I see out of, and they were too small to see anything. Also if you need something that long, go to harbor frieght and buy the 4*8 kit. its cost my buddy about 700 with a box(that I built) and it ended up being 5*8*4.5 tall. We were over the edge by a bit, but it turned out nice. it ended up being the same price as renting.

As for weight, I pulled a 2K+ lb camper(different one) and although I could see out of the mirrors, I wouldn't want to drive long distances with it. It really pushed my car around, and it just felt bad. Sure its an opinionated statement, but, Its mine...lol We bought an SUV(which I am not trying to sugggest you do) and pulling our camper(the one that was 6 foot wide) was night and day better. I would say pulling with an LGT under 1500lbs and under 4 feet wide is fine, but anything more than that is risky and dangerous.

Also look into pods. I was told it was about 700 to ship on west to east coast... Don't know how much truth there was(from the source)

Good luck either way though!

Well I still looked into all options that I was aware of and originally I wanted to use PODS but they are not available at the destination town where I am going.

Hitch was installed last Friday and I am taking off this weekend for my trip. I replaced all brakes/rotors and added a transmission cooler to the car just today. If it's a bad idea I will find out.

I like Franks_ster's attitude towards these things.

I also asked why the car is rated to tow 2700# but can't tow a 2000# trailer and never got an answer. Oh well.

^Pinter you got your answer: if you dont want to heed it thats okay but dont say we didn't try to answer. A 2000lb trailer is far from the whole picture. I can build a 25 foot long 2000lb trailer that will make you waggle all over the road and make a 6 ft long 2000lb trailer that would be easy peasy. Weight is only ONE of several aspects of what is important when towing. Stopping, sway control, braking, hitch weight, size, load, etc.

^ they twist the shit out of your hitch and your frame rails ..

does it realy matter .. well i don't like it .. but its common so i guess its ok. but i would rater put a bunch of weight in the back of the trailer to balance it

I had JD Lusardi, of Truckin' cover fame and Infamous Performance, box weld in additional crossmembers at the end of my frame rails in the rear of the Durango to be able to take a lot of twist:wub: Now I can't imagine towing without weight distribution and sway control. Hell I could slalom with my 4500+lb airstream. (...and there is NOTHING easier than backing up a single axle trailer with WD and SC, it doesn't waggle!)

Well I still looked into all options that I was aware of and originally I wanted to use PODS but they are not available at the destination town where I am going.

Hitch was installed last Friday and I am taking off this weekend for my trip. I replaced all brakes/rotors and added a transmission cooler to the car just today. If it's a bad idea I will find out.

I like Franks_ster's attitude towards these things.

I also asked why the car is rated to tow 2700# but can't tow a 2000# trailer and never got an answer. Oh well.

could and should are 2 different things. can your car go 140? should you?

^Pinter you got your answer: if you dont want to heed it thats okay but dont say we didn't try to answer. A 2000lb trailer is far from the whole picture. I can build a 25 foot long 2000lb trailer that will make you waggle all over the road and make a 6 ft long 2000lb trailer that would be easy peasy. Weight is only ONE of several aspects of what is important when towing. Stopping, sway control, braking, hitch weight, size, load, etc.

I just saw people asking me to search why I cannot tow the 6x12 and I searched but never saw a exact reason. I just read people don't recommend it. I am not trying to be difficult but unless I saw something, I didn't get a good answer imo.

I know there is more to towing then just pure weight but hopefully the car can handle the tow without having too many issues.

Again, I wish I had more options but I am limited to the destination town being so small. A truck with a trailer is huge $$ plus $100 an hour in fuel as I have done the drive before with a 16" truck.

I just pray I arrive safely. I will post again after I arrive and let you know if I arrive in one piece.

just take it easy, use your better judgement, pump up the tires hard 40 psi

leave lots of room in front of you and you will be fine.

Archived