LegacyGT.com

1990 subaru legacy headlight blinker issue

HI, I just bought a legacy and have a few problems. First problem: There seems to be a missing wire plug etc. on my passenger headlight area (see pic) The drivers side is totally different and blinker/ light works fine on the drivers side. The headlight plug is there and the blinker wire/bulb is there. I just have this extra plug? Is this supposed to be empty? Neither the blinker or headlight works on the passenger side. If this is supposed to not have a plug in it for some reason, does anyone have any idea what could be causing the light to not work? I have checked all fuses and that is not the issue.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss195/brooktroutballer/003.jpg

I also will need a new water pump and timing belt. Kind of a pain in the butt I understand. How much will this cost and could I do it myself? I am not terrible car mechanically inclined. thanks in advance

That plug is supposed to be empty. It doesnt do anything on the usdm cars. If both the blinker and headlight dont work on the same side, you may just have to make sure everything is grounded correctly. Also see if any loose wires have a home.

I have still not resolved my blinker issue. Although I did tackle today the timing belt and the water pump. About 150 for the parts and tools needed. A pretty serious project!!! I changed a bunch of hoses and whatnot. I feel good about it. Mechanics like to charge( around here anyway) 500 for this job. I had a slight issue with the car overheating after I first added coolant. All went well while at idle, when I started driving it overheated quickly. I burped the radiator and all is well now, so far! Once I started driving it a bit I realized I need a rear wheel bearing, not too thrilled about that, although I cannot believe it will be all that bad.....

Awesome, man! How's it feel saving $350? ;) And now you have tools you can reuse.

Tip: They have a small cap/vent hole on the left side of the radiator too. It's a square bolt with a screwdriver hole. If you take that off while you're filling it it will fill a lot more evenly and with less air in the system.

The wheel bearings need to be hydraulicly (not sure if that's a word) pressed out and back in. It cost me $80 for the part and labor. At that point it may have been cheaper to get a new hub haha If it can be done by yourself let me know.

Wow, fixing your own water pump! That'd be way, way beyond my capabilities. I'm still at the fuse box stage, for the most part. When I first got my car brought to the mechanic's, it was the water pump and timing belt that had to be fixed. Sure does make a horrible sound when it's messed up with those issues.

Burping a radiator... that makes me laugh, at the visual.. :)

I haven't won many things in my life either - mostly because I rarely buy lottery tickets etc - but I consider myself very "lucky", just in the people that I meet and with the adventures I find myself on.

I'd like a ruby red coloured Legacy - thanks. (putting in my order early!)

Yeah, I dont buy them so the only way I'd win is to find a winning one :p But at that point I'd just feel bad and have to donate half of it anyway. And that's a good way to look at it, cause Lord knows I've met some interesting people and explored some amazing places :D

I'm gonna need the year too haha

Archived