LegacyGT.com

AC Compressor On & OFF

Hi, my outback was never very cold on AC. So i think i might want to add some R134a to it. So i got the 12oz can, and start the car with AC full and coldest setting.

Start out pressure was 35psi, and i think it's pretty low. And i think my compressor was never ON. I think i don't have enough refrigerant to turn it on. So i start filling, and the pressure kept increasing. So it is working. Until it gets to 45 psi. then 50Psi, then i suddenly heard the compressor cycling ON & OFF, and the pressure on gauge show at maximum like 135 psi. So i immediately stopped. But my AC compressor was on & off.

Then i went back home and did some research, knowing refrigerant was low, so the ac compressor cycling on & off. So i went back out there and added more, when i was adding more, the pressure on the pressure gauge was always at its maximum, and did not drop. and the vent inside the car was blowing warm air. The fan turns on once a while, but not as frequent as the compressor. But it seems that is not filling more refrigerant anymore. But i can feel the can still got some liquid in it, as i was shaking it, i can feel there is still stuff in it. It's only 12oz can, and i did not even finish one can.

Is there anything i did wrong here, any recommendation what i should do next?

thanks

• I Donated

You probably over charged it.

If its over charged, it wont cool.

And its perfectly normal for it to cycle on and off. Thats how its designed to work

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

The compressor is suppose to turn on and off. Thats normal.

It doesn't matter if you added less then 12oz. 10oz could have been enough to overcharge it because you have no idea how much freon was in it.

I would try putting a proper charge in it to begin with. If you're still having problems, replace the expansion valve and reciever drier.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

before i started filling, the compressor was not ON at all. It started to turn ON & OFF during i was filling. And it was very low on pressure. So you are saying, it can overcharge the system with also empty to full in less than a 12oz can.

What could happen if overcharge the system?

thanks

• I Donated

If its undercharged, the compressor will NOT cycle on.....even if it has some freon in it. So that 12oz can could have pushed it over.

Being slightly overcharged won't hurt anything. If you start getting REALLY over charged, you can damage condesor, evap core, seals, etc.

If you're still having really high pressures in it after you get a proper charge in there, you will need to replace the expansion valve, as it may be clogged up

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

Take it to a shop.

They will recover the system....put a vacuum on it. Then inject oil, and then inject the proper ammount of freon.

Either that, or you can weigh how much you put in. Regardless, to do it from scratch you will have to vacuum the system

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived