LegacyGT.com

Reset battery, now car stalls at idle. 2005 NA 2.5 5mt

Reset battery, now car stalls at idle when ever I put the clutch in and start coasting to a stop.

Its a 2005 Naturally Aspirated 2.5 5mt. No check engine light is on.

This is the second time this happened. 25,000 miles ago I had the same problem but it went away after about 30 miles. I figured the computer figured it out.

This time it has not figured it out and i just drove 300 miles on the highway and about 20 miles of stop and go.

I did rev the engine to 5000 rpms twice in a row this morning and that seems to have helped out the idle speed, but I haven't drove it much to determine if its fixed.

Any advice on whats going on and what to do?

I have a couple ideas of what might be going on,

dirty maf

clogged intake/filter

vaccum leak

spark plugs in rough shape

bad gas

Obama

All wrong :lol:

You reset your ECU in the 2.5i, a stall soon after this IS normal, happens to my 2009 2.5i whenever I reset ECU in the same conditions. It may stall once/twice but after your ECU relearns it will go away just like it did 25K miles ago. :)

All wrong :lol:

You reset your ECU in the 2.5i, a stall soon after this IS normal, happens to my 2009 2.5i whenever I reset ECU in the same conditions. It may stall once/twice but after your ECU relearns it will go away just like it did 25K miles ago. :)

wrong.

300 miles is way past the relearning timeframe. Especially after stop/go raffic.

Yea i figure it should have relearned by now. I bet I restarted it after stalling now 30 to forty times.

In the last 6000 miles I've put in a new air filter and plugs. I would like to check and clean the MAF.

I used to throw the CEL p0420 code off and on, but have not seen it for about 2000 miles.

It was running good before I reset the battery except it seemed my mileage was off. Thats why i reset the battery. My MPG calculator told me I was getting 29 mpg for the trip, but then when I calculated it I really only got like 22.9 because I only 354 miles out of my last tank when I normally get more like 450. Bad gas, maybe the pump did not completely fill my tank. Beats me. Very mysterious.

On the way home from the trip it looks like my MPG is back on track. I got more then 200 miles and burned less then half a tank dispite the stalling on idle issue.

Sometimes when you fill the handle can cut the filling prematurely because it gets a little splash back into the detector. (there is a small hole at the tip of the gun that sucks up fuel and as soon as it gets fuel it cuts the filling)

So if the filler cuts then re-press the handle once to see if it's finished or not.

Bad gas - well, if the car was running like crap I would have understood it. In which case I would check if I really filled correct fuel - like diesel instead of gas.

453747.png

Archived