LegacyGT.com

I have a 2005 Legacy Sedan that has about 166,000 miles on it. automatic, 2.5 liter naturally aspirated. Aftermarket wheels but stock size, and stock size tires. When we bought it the dealership replaced the right front cv axle. There is a vibration coming from underneath the front seats that feels like the front u-joint, but I have no idea what's causing it yet. It began today right as I was driving home from the parts store with rear rotors, pads, diff fluid, stuff for an oil change, left front cv axle, and trans fluid. We got home and I decided that I'd look at the car from underneath while doing all the work I had planned on doing in the first place. So I did the rear brakes, cv axle, oil change, drained and filled the rear diff, and trans. I didn't do the front diff but i checked the fluid and it looked pretty new. The vibration IS DISTINCTLY connected to the driveline and in NO WAY related to anything suspension, alignment, or wheel balance issues as it happens as low as 10 miles per hour. I was scared to drive the car literally a block. I really need some help with this as I shook down the u-joints expecting some sort of play and felt none. My next step tomorrow was going to be draining the front differential and checking to make sure there isn't any sort of metal shavings or anything out of the ordinary, plus when does new fluid hurt? My next bet was to just go ahead and drop the driveshaft and do both u-joints just to be safe. I am a light duty mechanic at this point capable of doing most work just not sure what would cause this without play in the driveline...

By the way I have searched on this site, google, other forum sites and every forum post seems to relate to lower control arm bushings, wheel or tire vibration or suspension issues but this is very distinctly driveline problems as it increases with speed and only happens while the car is in gear moving forward OR reverse.

Sounds like it could be a bad CV joint.

When I used to use the free life time replacement axles in Honda Civic's, sometimes when I got a bad one from the auto parts store, that's what it would feel like.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wouldn't rule it out so quickly...but the vibration centers right around the center console inbetween the seats basically almost as if it is coming from the front u-joint. The axles up front are both remanufactured so I'm crossing my fingers that they aren't the problem. I guess I'm going to continue to look into the issue underneath the car and try to figure it out. Depending on cost of u-joints may take core of cv back and get u-joints and slap them in anyway just to eliminate that diagnosis.

If it were the u-joints you would be one of the first to have this issue that I have heard of.

I just put the driveshaft in my 05 twice in the past month. At 142,000 miles the joints feel tight.

You need to drop the exhaust mid-pipe and heat shield to remove the driveshaft. Not a big job if you have the tools. I left the heat shield out the last time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...
well guess i was the first. I had the driveshaft rebuilt after I found the front u-joint had frozen up. I had both replaced and the shaft balanced. I now get to replace my right front ball joint, and control arm due to an accident my dad got in. Also does anyone have a write up for a timing belt on the sohc motor? Also where's a good place to find a fuel pump for this thing??

So someone gauge this list of stuff I will have fixed in less than 1 year with this car:

LF CV axle ($65), RF was replaced when I bought the car, rear rotors and pads ($60), valve cover gaskets and tube seals ($15), plugs and wires ($55), timing belt comp. Kit ($212), water pump ($56), oil pan gasket ($7), right front control arm and ball joint $188), fuel pump and filter, front brakes. Still needs: struts, tires, and alignment. Got the car for basically $6000 with a $1,000 trade in, 160,000 miles now about 172,00

My dad had bought the car for my mom before I got a chance to look it over and we've paid dearly even with the discounts I get from work.

Archived