LegacyGT.com

Known Computer Problems...

As the title describes, are there any known computer issues in these cars, specifically a 1990 2.2 MPFI Legacy L?

I have had a check engine light for about a week (the entire time i've had the car) that will go away then come back now and then. I tried and tried the check engine black plug thing, but it just stays lit solid, no flashing.

Also, it seems to be running low on power, then will spike up to normal power and the battery warning light will pop up. I went to Autozone today to have them check my charging system. The battery and alternator are perfect. The associate said I may have a bad computer.

How hard is it to find another ECU for these cars?

What could be the problem?

Will one from another model fit in?

I know the neons I'm used to, you can plug any 96 to 99 DOHC computer into a SOHC or DOHC and they'll run just fine. 95's had a special computer lol

"Racing is important to men who do it well. When you're racing...it's life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting." -Steve McQueen in Le Mans

Knock sensor maybe. Check if it's broken. It can flash on and off at times if it's cracked. It's buried underneath the throttle body...or in that area at least.

Weren't the diagnostic cable plugs in these green?

A computer would suck, but I'm sure you could pick one up from a junk yard. I would find the same year and everything if possible. The computer's pretty specific. It may also be something with your wiring.

And if your coil packs not working properly I believe it could things like this. At least that's what I've heard.

Yeah, the diagnostic cables are green, but I guess the ones you plug in to get your codes to flash are the black ones. I'll look into all the problems you mentioned! Thanks!
"Racing is important to men who do it well. When you're racing...it's life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting." -Steve McQueen in Le Mans

Archived