LegacyGT.com

Buying a 2001 subaru legacy 2 litre non turbo

Evilsanta

Thinking of swapping my 2001 alfa 156 2.4jtd for a legacy 2 litre non turbo. Now I know nothing about Subaru cars so I'm here needing help! Can these cars be clocked? Its only got 51k on the clock and for the age of the car seems unrealistic but from the photos the car looks absolutely mint no rust or dents I just don't see why he would want my alfa which has issues such as a dodgy paintwork no lock in the boot cracked windscreen but this guys seems keen to swap!

So I'm begging for help and advice on what to look for on the car before i swap! I got stung with the alfa and don't want to get done over again

Thanks guys

By clocked do you mean tampering with or setting back the odometer? Anyway, you ought to be checking in your neck of the woods. I'm confident you can find/locate a fellow Irishman (with a Subaru) that can help you over there......

I'm not sure about the UK inspections if they record the meter, but if they do I suggest that you request to see the at least the latest inspection record. It all depends on the previous owner. Some owners are just using their cars as grocery getter once per week. And I wouldn't see 51k miles as odd for Northern Ireland.

But the 2 liter NA engine is a reliable engine so just do the usual checks - the fluids shall be in good condition. The brake fluid is a good indicator - if it's darkened then it hasn't been replaced. Doing a compression test is always a good idea, but I wouldn't worry much there.

And also look at the stick for the gearbox - the Subies are somewhat unique that they have an oil dipstick for the gearbox too. On AT gearboxes the front differential has it's stick on the right side and the gearbox varies depending on gearbox type.

Driveshaft boots are another item that needs a check. Right side inner boot is usually wearing down faster, at least on LHD cars since it's close to the cat, which heats the rubber and makes it age faster. But a broken boot isn't a deal killer.

Otherwise - rust is the big deal, but that's easy to see if you can get under the car.

As for the other dude - some people get's wood from Alfas in the same way some people selects a Ducati over a Suzuki.

453747.png

• 3 weeks later...
I just bought an 02 and it goes through oil like crazy, not burning or leaking. Apparently this is somewhat common with the third gen 2.5 and a lot of people have switched oils that have stopped the consumption. At your mileage, I doubt you'd have to worry about it but I wish I was aware of this beforehand.

Archived