LegacyGT.com

To all LGT owners

Oh, um... Looks like I have to update my avatar...

And I would like to go driving school, just don't know of any in the Milwaukee/Chicago Area... Anyone know any?

SCCA and PCA have local Autox events all summer in Milwaukee.

Road America is your local track and a fantastic course.

http://www.roadamerica.com

I run BMWCCA events there several times a year. No BMW is necessary (I track my NSX) and they are some of the best run events (and a very good value too). There were several WRXs and Evos at the windy city event at the end of April.

www.badgerbimmers.org

www.windycitybmw.com

www.bmwcca.org

There are numerous other clubs that have HPDEs at Road America (and elsewhere).

http://www.roadamerica.com/2005/races_clubs.htm

Before you spend money modifying your LGT, take your car to a driving school at a road course track.

Learn lots about driving well, learn lots about your LGT, and get props from others that don't know about it.

-B

Very true. Get to know yourself and the car, then prioritize your purchases wisely in what makes you most satisified. Goes along with the 1st performance mod you should get is driver school.

That is unless... your mods are for bling bling. Then of course, one would not have bought a Subie for bling bling.

SuperSubie

Redline76, referring to the LGT. Many people don't know the LGT took a couple of steps up the performance ladder for the 2005 model year.

Yes, I was a bit abrupt in my posting. Long couple of days. With that said, no matter how nicely the "driver mod" threads start on an automotive forum, always seem to get a little heated. Not really sure why.

-B

I would submit (and this has already been alluded to) that 500 bucks spent on a driving course, learning how to get the most out of your car and how to drive it is a more worthwhile investment than 500 bucks spent toward mods that one may or may not even know how to use effectively. IMO, the majority of people who buy high performance cars rarely if ever use them to their full potential, and in fact probably run out of capability before their cars do. Beanboy makes a great point IMO.

Redline76, referring to the LGT. Many people don't know the LGT took a couple of steps up the performance ladder for the 2005 model year.

Yes, I was a bit abrupt in my posting. Long couple of days. With that said, no matter how nicely the "driver mod" threads start on an automotive forum, always seem to get a little heated. Not really sure why.

-B

Beanboy, I actually agree with you. Most people don't have a clue as to the performance envelope of their Legacies, myself included. To try and find out on the street is simply retarded and will most likely end in tears. I only discovered the limits of my STI on the track and even then only pushed it to 10/10ths on a couple of corners once or twice in an attempt to beat previous best lap times :) Can you say "pucker-factor?"

I only gave you shit because of the way you made the statement. It came across as kind of preachy, even though your intentions were there and you were right in making them.

Wow, Beanboy is right on with his suggestions I'm suprised he got interpreted so negatively.

Modding the driver is the best bang for the buck for actually going fast, in my opinion.

Speaking of which, I think it is really funny when guys who weigh more then they should for their height take some 6oz piece of plastic out of their car for "Weight savings". Hit the gym, it'll improve your times :)

-Allen

Yeah, I totally agree. We obsess about and lose half a paycheck on losing 2 pounds per wheel when we are 30-60# overweight.

If you want to see how bad a forum can get - check out any one of the major PC gaming forums.

A bunch of 12 year olds learning to be idiots.

If you don't make a mistake, how can you learn.

If you can't take a little heat, then why drive a real car like the Leg?

Anyways, I am a poodle poker cause I drive a wagon. :D

yeah, show me a track that's not 4 hours away and won't cost me an Accessport, and I'll do it.

lime rock? themclub.net just had a auto-x school two weeks ago at Giant's Statium in NJ. Philly region SCCA?

I totally agree with the original poster. Springs,sways,tires just for the sake of modding is a horrible waste of money and you can actually decrease the performance of a car by doing so.

you can say the same about many things in life

before you spend 2K on golf clubs.......take lessons!

before you spend 5 on a DSLR and lense....take a class!

before you spend 4K on a mountain bike.....spend 300 and practice!

people will always think they can buy skill..............

before you spend 2K on golf clubs.......take lessons!

before you spend 5 on a DSLR and lense....take a class!

before you spend 4K on a mountain bike.....spend 300 and practice!

people will always think they can buy skill..............

You can do all the following safely and at your own pace:

- It is not easy to teach yourself, bad example

- You shoot pictures while standing and not in a car doing 50mph trying to take a 90 turn and hope you don't hit the curb or understeer and hit something

- You are not endangering other people when you are practicing on a trail

None of the above activites occur in a hostile and random environment like driving puts you in, where your mistakes, miscalculations and overestimates can cause accidents and kill people.

In the case of cars, you are improving your driving skills in a safe environment and at a much faster pace than you can on the street.

I keed I keeed

If you can't teach yourself, you will never be better than your instructor.

Gimme a break. Man just like Fox News, taken out of context and slammed right in your face. Hehe :)

Come on, everybody knows you need some lessons when starting golf but after that you become unique and better than the rest by developing your own skills yourself.

I keed I keeed

How does a person learn?

You watch others.

You listen to others.

You read what other write.

Then you test what you learned.

Every day that you drive you get better.

Unless of cource you are lazy and stupid.

Then you just kill yourself or others.

Testing driving techniques on the street, is something all of us do on a daily basis.

Why do you think my left tires are going to wear faster than my right - GOD, I LOVE THAT FREEWAY ON RAMP - WWWHHHHOOOOOOOHHHHHOOO!!!

Listening to a seasoned Advanced Driving teacher, and then going out and testing/practicing in a safe and controlled environment will help you learn more about your car and yourself.

Yes, you can go with some buddies to a track, and drive with them, and you will learn from them and other, and get to test/practice as well.

But are they really the best people to learn from?

Will the mistakes and painful lessons be cheeper than and Advanced Driving Class?

Ah, life. You learn to walk, then you die.

How does a person learn?

You watch others.Tru

You listen to others. Tru

You read what other write. Tru

Then you test what you learned. Tru

Every day that you drive you get better. Tru, majority of my experience

Unless of cource you are lazy and stupid.

Then you just kill yourself or others.

Testing driving techniques on the street, is something all of us do on a daily basis. Tru

Why do you think my left tires are going to wear faster than my right - GOD, I LOVE THAT FREEWAY ON RAMP - WWWHHHHOOOOOOOHHHHHOOO!!! Tru, So Tru

Listening to a seasoned Advanced Driving teacher, and then going out and testing/practicing in a safe and controlled environment will help you learn more about your car and yourself. Tru

Yes, you can go with some buddies to a track, and drive with them, and you will learn from them and other, and get to test/practice as well. Tru

But are they really the best people to learn from? No

Will the mistakes and painful lessons be cheeper than and Advanced Driving Class? Yes

Ah, life. You learn to walk, then you die.

I guess my point is that Beanboy's suggestion to know the limits of your car and yourself before modding shouldn't be dismissed as another way of gaining skill thru money.

You don't have to learn thru a paid driving course, you can go to an empty/deserted parking lot or deserted side road to test the limits without endangering other people but also don't go overboard.

You wouldn't want to learn your tires limit after you hit a curb because the car hydroplaned and you didn't know how to react, there many examples like that where a driving course may teach you how to handle situations you may have not encountered on the road YET.

I keed I keeed

Archived