LegacyGT.com

Installing axles

FWIW, I figured I put this out there as a hint.

When I install the axles, I have learned a easy way to get them to seat into the trans or rear diff.

After getting the axle into position and it won't go in the last 1/2-3/4 inch, I put a jack under the LCA and jack up the suspension until the axle is level.

I take a small block of wood. I have a old piece of oak flooring. I hold that piece of wood on the outter end of the axle. I hit it with my 5lb hammer. You can watch the end of the axle sink into the hub. Then check to make sure the axle seated into the tranny seal or rear diff seal.

I also find it easier to to get the lower ball joint back into the LCA by sticking a pointy pry bar into the end link mount hole on the LCA and prying down. I have Perrin end links on my car. I just remove the bolt.

I guess you might be able to put a large adjustable wrench on the end link bracket and pry it down too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

To remove the axle nut. Leave the car on the ground, in gear, parking brake on.

After you pull the center cap out of the wheel.

Try and use apunch to bend the nut out of the grove it's pinned into.

Stick your 32mm socket on the axle nut, I use a 3/4" drive socket and my 3/4" impact gun.

I have had to use a 3/4 breaker bar and 4ft piece of pipe once.

After you get the nut off you can then jack up the car.

I also use a 1/2" impact gun on the lower ball joint nut. Make sure you remove all the cotter pin before you remove the ball joint nut.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Ahhhh...thanks for the tip....gonna go out and put the wheel back on to break the nut! Thanks

Gee how did I know the wheel was off and the car was up in the air....

I think I learned that trick the hard way too. :)

Hopefully the next one will easier.

My son just told me both front wheel bearings are bad on his 2004 VW R32. Never done one of them, but between he and I it shouldn't be to bad.

Archived