LegacyGT.com

Spring I need opinions..

I have a question. I have WRX rims on my Legacy right now and I can see where

the tires rub the struts and the body at times. Are there springs that I can get that will fit on the stock Legacy struts, but make it a bit tougher? Prevent it from doing that? I'd like to keep the stock struts to avoid alignment issues.

Sounds more like a tire-width issue versus a spring or wheel issue. Presume 16x6.5" WRX rims? What size tires?
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Don't recall what the offset is for OEM 1st gen wheels, but I can't imagine that the WRX wheel/tire size would rub on the springs. I would expect it to rub on the bottom of the struct (lower spring perch) but not on the springs... this is a mystery to me.

Nah, I mean they dont touch the springs, but they do rub on the strut and the body. I was hoping to get different, stiffer springs to change that. Hopefully prevent some of the rubbing due to the car dropping down so far. I figured stiffer springs = less drop.

Are the struts blown, or is it on lowering springs? If the struts are blown, then the springs are going to struggle to keep it off the body. If on lowering springs and the struts are shot or going, then you'll have an equal issue keeping the body off the wheels.

Still not sure why the wheel would rub on the strut itself. Only thing that causes that is if the wheel offset is too high >+55 which will move the wheel/tires inboard too much. The WRX wheels should fit with no issues.

Well I take it offroad and I'm pretty sure it's from those times when I hit potholes at speed or bumps in general. The struts are the original, but they still feel pretty stiff. I planned on getting some GR2's soon. I was just looking for a new set of springs that could provide stiffness to make this not happen as often.

If you're going to keep it, then upgrade the struts and the springs at the same time. Either the H&R or the Eibachs listed in post 1 and 2 above should give you what you're looking for with the GR2 struts. Just remember to cut-down your bumpstops to compensate for the lowered stance/height.

I was planning to buy new springs and the GR2's and some spare tophats and put them together before I even get them on the car. That way I dont have to break apart my old suspension while I'm still using the car. I can just get it done in a weekend.

Really what I'm looking for is a strut that's a bit stiffer than stock with the same stock height and I've heard the GR2's are a good replacement. I'm not looking for lowering springs cause I dont want to sacrifice the height I have now. I just want a spring that'll have it sit either at stock height or as close to stock height as possible (preferably higher if I cant get stock), but with a bit more stiffness.

Archived