LegacyGT.com

End Link Help

crazy88s

I have been hearing a creaking sound at low speed when inching forward and braking and then letting off of the brake and repeating that sequence. It sounds like it is coming from the front usually but I can't make it happen all of the time. I notice also that the suspension seems loose at times both around corners and driving in a straight line at interstate speeds.

After searching here, it seems like maybe bad end links could cause similar problems so I took a couple photos of my front stock end links. Can you tell by looking at these if they may be causing problems or suggest anything else?

IMG_0492.thumb.jpg.c5916e80c09428df51f9da873e79352c.jpg

IMG_0494.thumb.jpg.57e4f6dc7c5aa4ab3ae2f611272def06.jpg

How many miles on your '05? I'd also look at:

The condition of the swaybar mount bushings?

Are they greased?

Also check your LCA bushings

Ball Joints

If you get creaking at stand still turning the wheel left and right, it's usually LCA bushings, second is often the steering rack bushings.

But as xero287 has pointed out, if you have high mileage on your stock endlinks, I'd replace.

You may need a cut off wheel to remove the old end links.

Do not replace with OEM style links. Get one like Perrins that use reall bolts and nuts.

End links are known to be a issue on these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There are no bushings in the stock endlinks. They are a ball-and-socket style joint, and they suck horribly.

Pick up a set of Kartboy endlinks, and your problems will disappear.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

How many miles on your '05? I'd also look at:

The condition of the swaybar mount bushings?

Are they greased?

Also check your LCA bushings

Ball Joints

If you get creaking at stand still turning the wheel left and right, it's usually LCA bushings, second is often the steering rack bushings.

But as xero287 has pointed out, if you have high mileage on your stock endlinks, I'd replace.

I have a little over 68,000 miles on the car. I haven't greased the swaybar bushings since putting them on and I don't think the LCA bushings have been greased. The driver side front ball joint was bad and replaced a few months ago so I will look at the ball joints. I tried turning the wheel from a stand still and do get some creaking mainly at near full turn both ways.

Would any of these things cause the loose feeling in the suspension, kind of like "wandering" in the front wheels?

Thank you everybody for the suggestions and I will also work on changing the end links to see if that helps any of my issues.

"wandering in the front wheels"

Look at wheel bearings. If it's that bad...have a expert inspect the front end. The car shouldn't wander. If fact when new the car has a pretty good turn'in feel.

If you have a floor jack and long bar, jack up under the LCA, put about 2" of space under the tire, stick the long bar under the tire and lift up. If you feel the wheel move before the suspension, that's ball joint.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

There are no bushings in the stock endlinks. They are a ball-and-socket style joint, and they suck horribly.

Pick up a set of Kartboy endlinks, and your problems will disappear.

I thought there was a bushing inside the socket where the ball is inserted?

The socket is plastic, but that's not really a bushing and it's not visible from the outside.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Update:

I got the car up on ramps and saw the passenger side CV boot was torn and had leaked oil all over the diff among other places. This was after I had already made an appointment to take it in to a local shop for them to try and find out what's going on. So they looked it over and said a rear wheel bearing was bad and the power steering pump needed replaced. I'm not sure if any of this is related to the issues I have been experiencing but it can't hurt.

Slow down there.

Which axle boot is ripped ? front or rear.

Rear wheel bearing, I think I mentioned wheel bearing back on 7-27 at 9:01AM. (give that man a cookie) :)

I would hold out on the PS pump until they point out why it's bad ?

Slow down there.

Which axle boot is ripped ? front or rear.

Rear wheel bearing, I think I mentioned wheel bearing back on 7-27 at 9:01AM. (give that man a cookie) :)

I would hold out on the PS pump until they point out why it's bad ?

My bad, it was the front passenger side boot that was torn. And yes, good call on the wheel bearing :)

I will inquire more about the PS pump. Is that something that isn't likely to go out or why do you say that?

Things that could make it wander:

- Loose nut on the axles

- Bad ball joints

- Worn LCA bushings

- Loose nuts/bolts on the suspension

- Bad alignment

- Shot tires

Endlinks shouldn't make it wonder, although they'll clunk to high heaven over any bumps if they're bad... Rallitek has stock-type replacements which are a good deal stronger.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Apparently both rear wheel bearings were bad. The shop called back and said they test drove the car after replacing the right rear bearing and still had noise coming from the left rear. They said the right rear bearing was bad enough to cause the wheel to be loose. I hadn't checked the rear wheels because the issues seemed to be coming from the front.

edit: I meant to say that the tires are new this summer and I had an alignment just a few months ago so I don't think it would be either of those two issues.

The shop supposedly checked out the suspension after I told them about the issues I was having and didn't find anything besides the bearings.

Save your bill, there is something about the rear wheel bearings being covered for 6 years or 100,000 miles

Or is is past that.

Save your bill, there is something about the rear wheel bearings being covered for 6 years or 100,000 miles

Or is is past that.

Please elaborate - I just picked up an '08 that has some clunking and feels like as described in this thread.

How difficult will it be for the techs at the local Subaru dealer to diagnose "bad wheel bearings"? If I am in a position to get the car checked out one last time, I want to make sure it is done thoroughly.

Is there a tell tell way to diagnose wheels bearings?

Thank you

Archived