LegacyGT.com

91 legacy idle problems

Have a 91 legacy fwd. It is throwing a code which will sometimes go off then come back on. When i start the car it will do a very sporadic idle that starts to climb over 1grand then goes down and back up then down again then eventually levels off. have not been able to check the code yet but does anyone know what this might be caused by. It drives fine after start up it just does this first when starting. any advice is appreciated thank you

Mine does that too. It's a symptom of having a 20 year old car. At first mine will jump up to 1k and then it'll fall til about 500 for a second then level off at 750. Stupid OBDI is hard to check cause the lights dont always stay. Especially that stupid knock sensor light.

I have read other discussions about similiar symptoms and the topic was the fuel pump, they said try priming the fuel pump 2-3 times before cranking over. the reason being there is gas still in the line when you shut your car off, and the fuel pump disengages. Well when you start your car again the gas that was left in the line burns first then theres a pocket of air at which point your car would idle down, until the fresh gas from the pump reaches the injectors. I would definetly still check the codes though. hope this was helpful

Archived