LegacyGT.com

URGENT!! Need ur opinion on this

twisted

Ok guys,

I'm not having any luck selling my 03 Pilot and i'm getting tired of driving that heap of metal around. I'm thinking trade-in for a used LGT.

Now i found one i like at a local dealers lot. They say it was a subaru executive that drove it(shud i believe him ??)

Options: has all the options i need and none i dont want

Got sub amp/autodim/STS/momo shift knob/floor mats/spoiler

Color: Black...id have preferred silver but black is my 2nd choice so i'm willing to compromise

Even if i do then here are my questions/concerns

Price

I need to offer a price that will make it worth my while going for a used subaru and possibly not getting the nice APR from SoA and at the same time not make an impossible deal for the dealer so they can make a few bucks (and i stress on 'a few bucks'...not too much)

So heres kbb numbers to help u decide

Now remember the pilot is so freaking clean that it has to qualify under KBB as EXCELLENT

KBB Trade-in (Good) Trade-in (Excellent) Suggested Retail

Legacy $20920 $22200 $27560

Pilot $21890 $23175 $28940

So as it turns out the pilot is worth more in every category.

And i want to minimize my loss (i prolly owe 23.5 or 24 on the pilot)

SO i was thinking they gimme 23K for the pilot trade and i get the legacy for 23.5K

I know ur going "this guy is nutz" but the dealer sales guy keeps calling me and encouraging me to come down and that "they are looking for trades since things are slow" and what not. Now it seems to me that they are unable to move these used legacy's (they got 2but dont eye the 5spd..its mine...hopefully) and really willing to work on a price.

So what u guys think???? Thoughts critiques???cusses??

PS i know that there are some folks here selling their LGTs for great prices and i'd rather buy from them to elp em out and get a good deal myself but i am not having any luck selling the pilot on my own...so i cant go tht route

did you try listing your car on ebay?

no not yet...have never done that...can u gimme procedure/cost to do so???

i'm willing to try it if its somewhat painless and quick...cuz i'm really getting tired of driving the un-exciting pilot..with its unexciting handling...ugh

Thx

It will cost you $50 or so to list it on ebay and probably another $60 or so final value fee. If it doesnt sell the 1st time you get to re-list it one time for free. I have sold a few cars on ebay with very little problems. The only problems I have had are most recently with Honda Finance and paying off a lease and getting the title.. its taken like a month and the guy who I sold the car to is driving on my plates cuz theres really no other way to do it which sucks ass. But as long as you are buying your pilot and not leasing it, it should be fairly straight forward.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

$27500 for a used LGT Limited? I paid that for my new one six months ago. Where's the deal?

KBB prices are based on retail depreciation. This is why edmunds has a better actual value of the car because they base their results on national average of the price actually paid. Your LGT was not $27,500 on the sticker when you bought it. However the depreciation should be about the same since I doubt many LGT's actually sold for MSRP, meaning that if you paid 27500 for yours 6 months ago its probably guestimated around 25,000 or so

Also, he isnt saying the dealer wants 27500 for it, he's just saying thats what KBB used retail is.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Also, he isnt saying the dealer wants 27500 for it, he's just saying thats what KBB used retail is.

He's not? That's what the link he posted shows as the asking price:

-----------------------

Vehicle 2005 Subaru Legacy GT LTD

Bodystyle 4 Dr Sedan Awd

Color Black,

Mileage 5,056 Miles

Engine 2.5 liter 4 Cyl. Fuel Injected

Transmission 5 Speed Manual

Warranty Yes

Original Asking Price $ 29,995

Internet Price $ 27,495 - Payment Calculator

VIN # 4S3BL676256219799

Stock# R133

----------------------

So, $27500 is the dealer's asking price on a used car. Since this is 'street price' on a new one, I'd look that route as you can get a much lower interest rate and no miles on it. If you think you can talk the dealer down to well below, $24-25K and get what you want on trade for the Pilot, go for it.

Dealer's don't use any tools available to consumers to price used vehicles. They go by Manheim auction prices as the baseline for a trade. Anything over that is dollars added to the bottom line they have for the purchase price of the vehicle you are buying. The old shell game. :rolleyes:

No 2003 is in "excellent" condition unless you bought it and then didn't drive it. Besides you should try to be realistic. Try "good", then you won't be surprised when they lowball your trade! If you don't want the dang thing, who else will? Plus you can buy and lease those things new for cheaper than someone can buy yours for and get a loan at a higher interest rate. Make sense yet?

Back to the real car. The one you do want. Find out who really drove the car, a lot of people work for Subaru, or the Dealership and know how to break the car in properly. When it comes down to it, isn't that all that matters? That and you get a good deal? Would you pay MORE for the car if the VP drove it? Okay then.

Offer even up trade and they pay off your pilot. Start from there and see what happens.

They kinda did that for me with my trans am, even though i lost a few hundred on the pay off they 'worked' the numbers to look like they gave me the full payoff as the trade-in....

Of course now they are asking for $4000 more then i traded it in and its been sitting on the lot for over a month now ;)

No 2003 is in "excellent" condition unless you bought it and then didn't drive it.

Well i did drive it but the interior is in excellent shape....2nd row seats used 2 times and 3rd row never used.

Never sis i smoke eat or drink in the car.

Religiousl cleaned/detailed

New front leather seats covered under honda warranty..dammit the car smells new till today...

Besides you should try to be realistic. Try "good", then you won't be surprised when they lowball your trade!

I did and the prices are listed.

If they wanna gimme the good price for my car as a trade then i wanna aim towards the good on their cars trade price...to even the difference

If you don't want the dang thing, who else will? Plus you can buy and lease those things new for cheaper than someone can buy yours for and get a loan at a higher interest rate. Make sense yet?

Someone with like 4 kids and a boat!! Yuppie Milfs love pilots too...i see more women driving pilots than guys...its insane

Back to the real car. The one you do want. Find out who really drove the car, a lot of people work for Subaru, or the Dealership and know how to break the car in properly. When it comes down to it, isn't that all that matters? That and you get a good deal? Would you pay MORE for the car if the VP drove it? Okay then.

Of course i'm not gonna pay 27.5 that they are asking. I am aiming around 23-24K. Any more and it just isnt worth it. C'mon its a used car. I know i can get a new one for 26-26.5 easy and less if i bargain more.

Of course i'm not gonna pay 27.5 that they are asking. I am aiming around 23-24K. Any more and it just isnt worth it. C'mon its a used car. I know i can get a new one for 26-26.5 easy and less if i bargain more.

If you want to cut the price of their car by 4 grand, be willing to accept less for yours. They don't need yours. In fact, sometimes it's easier to leave it out of the deal all together. We all know there are two separate deals going on here, your old car and your new car, but don't expect to get everything you want, there will be sacrifices on both sides, I would get them to agree on a price on the car over the phone, and then bring your trade, make it hinge on the trade but keep in mind the lowest that you would be willing to accept because you will be close more than likely. There is no market or you would have been able to see it yourself by now.

Two different issues your working. 1st- the Legacy I would say 24 k would be a fair price. 2nd - The Pilot- problem you have here is too little equity. You still owe 23 to 24000. Dealers wont pay much above wholesale for a trade if they do they are more than likely really only discounting the new car. To make this doable you need to sell the Pilot yourself as a private party deal.

You should just get a new one, and you can choose a silver since that's your first choice. Price wise, it's almost the same, but if you really want that "used" black one, I would suggest giving the dealers $24,500 and have them throw in extended warranty. As for your Pilot, I can tell your right now that it doesn't matter how much KBB tells you, the dealership will give you at least $3000 below trade-in value because they will not pay you and have you drive off a new car if they don't have to. IMHO, you should get the car and sell your Pilot later if possible.

Archived