LegacyGT.com

AP with 08 5EAT?

Just purchased an AccessPort for my 08 Subaru Legacy GT 5EAT. I hooked it up yesterday, and went through the normal procedure: Downloaded stock ECU then updated with the map i choose (stage 1). Once everything was completed it informed me that i had successfully completed installation.

I was under the impression that once a AP map was installed, the SI drive was disabled, but when driving around today i noticed that it still worked, is that normal? And if it is still functioning, does the stage 1 benefits only get realized in Sport Sharp mode?

Also i was told by a buddy of mine who has an AP for his 08 MazdaSpeed 3 that once your new map is installed, you should drive conservatively for at least 45-50 miles to allow the ecu to adjust to the new map, is that true?

Thanks for your help in advance, never used a tool like this before, and there doesn't seem to be too much info on Cobb's site!

Jason

I can't think of a reason why it would disable SI drive.....if it said successfully installed then you're good to go. drive around for a while to get the ecu to relearn things (as the AP resets ecu after install). It may take a few run cycles for it to full learn and advance timing

For the 5EAT it increases line pressure depending on the drive you're in. and if you go open source, each selection can have a mapped target boost (I drive, S, S# all different boost levels) but I'd be surprised if cobb did this

SI works fine with an AP.

I'm hesitant to post this, because I am so uncertain. I'm OTS stage 2, and I've driven with the device only one time, about two years ago. It seems like I only got 10 lbs in "i". 16.5 in "S#.

These things have been around so long and there is so much information about them it really is embarrassing how little understanding I have.

So basically your saying that SI Drive affects throttle response and Cobb affects ecu settings too, so in all reality, Sport sharp setting would give you the most out of your Cobb stage1 map!

I am thinking, but smoke is coming out!

So basically your saying that SI Drive affects throttleresponse by tightening the wire, and Cobb only affects ecu setting, so i all reality, Sport sharp setting would give you the most out of your Cobb stage1 map!

I am thinking, but smoke is coming out!

I'm going to pretend I didn't read this. *zap*

ok, memory erased.

SI drive is programmed in the ecu's map. It controls how much "power" is made at a given accelerator angle. sport # being half throttle pushed but ecu thinks full throttle, and gives you full throttle engine power. So it feels like the power comes quicker, and it quicker to respond.

Like I said WANG:

each mode corresponds to a different boost level, it's rather easy to tune requested torque for each mode. Currently my SI is 10/15/19 psi.

the SI drive function, and a tune, are together......the SI drive tables are interweaved with the ecu's maps, so essentially, to tune the ECU, it would be tough to avoid changing SI drive functions

Ok smarty pants, so exactly how does cobb's access port maps effect these different ecu settings of SI drive?

I am not trying to be an ass, i am a turbo and a subaru noob, and i am used to working on Honda NA applications, this is all a learning experience, and it seems as though i am not the only one who cannot get an exact answer!? Maybe instead of asking fellow subaru drivers, i will just call cobb directly and get them to answer me!

Geez,

MODS PLEASE CLOSE THREAD!

I'm answering you quite thoroughly, actually. The accessport flashes the ecu with their map. SI drive is controlled within the map. So there's a strong chance that SI drive was tuned as well, though I'd call them to verify. I found some info by searching the intertubes "accessport with SI drive", some say it stays the same but no one says it's disabled

BMX, Im opensource tuned, and none of my settings (I, S, S#) have different boost levels or corresponding maps. Switching between them doesnt switch maps, like you said it tweeks the responsiveness of the throttle. Granted in I mode i wont hit my peak boost, but thats because I neuters the throttle. and in S and S# my peak boost reads same

BMX, Im opensource tuned, and none of my settings (I, S, S#) have different boost levels or corresponding maps. Switching between them doesnt switch maps, like you said it tweeks the responsiveness of the throttle. Granted in I mode i wont hit my peak boost, but thats because I neuters the throttle. and in S and S# my peak boost reads same

Well it all depends on your tuner, some know how to, and some don't. Since stage 1 I've had changable boost levels. I confirmed this by pulling my map and reviewing with romraider ecu editor. It's infact, not difficult to do this either.

Ill help to try to explain:lol:

With Cobb and SI-Drive:

SI-Drive boost is based on accelerator pedal angle - which also changed by Cobb to adjust boost (Stage1/Stage2)

Intelligent mode still makes around 7-8psi on Stock,Stage1,Stage2, and full pedal is ~60% throttle body opening

Sport: Foot pedal equals throttle body opening: 50% pedal=50% throttle body opening

Sport#: ~60% foot pedal = 100% throttle body opening, so it 'feels' like the car is sportier because there is less pedal movement to make the car go fast.

Sport/Sport# max boost is the same

Now one way to get your different boost level in each mode you can adjust the 'Requested Torque' for either I,S,S#. Which can effect the throttle position, keeping in mind the name does not mean more torque(more power).

So what can happen is:

I=50% Throttle Body Opening

S=70% Throttle Body Opening

S#=100% Throttle Body Opening

Yes this may sound stupid for some, but keeping in mind when you are stage 2 or more, maybe you dont want all ~300hp at once. I use 'I' mode when I have people in my car, it is easier to modulate the accelerator pedal.

Some may say so how does this effect boost in each mode? Well when you drive using 50% throttle, you make the boost that is set for 50% throttle, you dont make full boost at 50% throttle. Boost depends on throttle angle

BTW the Requested Torque is changed in Cobb's maps, I have reviewed them and did an overlay with stock maps and they have indeed been modified

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I think underground finally got out what was needed to be said. But I'll help clarify.

An AP reflashes the ECU for all kinds of conditions such as boost levels and timing. The SI drive only affects throttle response. An OTS AP map is not going to have any effect on the throttle response other than requested torque values. Certain tuners can indeed change things dealing with the SI drive, but that is unimportant since you are using an OTS AP map.

Target boost levels are not changed in any of the 3 settings for the SI drive. They are, however, affected by throttle position. As underground said, no matter how far you press the pedal down in I, the most you can get is 60% open. Therefore, boost is limited to whatever 60% throttle would net. NOT BECAUSE TARGET BOOST HAS BEEN CHANGED IN I MODE. Sport and Sport # both allow 100% throttle opening, but sport # requires a smaller throttle angle to reach wide open (WOT).

It's cool; I'm with the band

Archived