LegacyGT.com

Saris Bones Rack on Legacy Wagon

turbotaz

The Bones Series are fine racks. I would be concerned with the upper attachment points. It is far more ideal to have a straight line between attachment point and the rack. The upper straps will have to go around the spoiler and may put too much pressure on it. Also, any time you use a trunk style rack you are endangering your cars finish.

I would opt for a hitch rack. Sure it's 5 times more expensive but it's much more stable, safer and has better security options. I used to use a CycleOn on my '99 Legacy wagon but am planning on going back to a roof rack on the LGT.

Pedal on,

Ross

I have a Saris Bones rack for my Legacy...but I haven't actually used it yet. I've fit the rack on the car, but I've been using the roof rack on my WRX.

One side of the Bones rack will sit on the rear window and the other on the top of the rear bumper (the black part) so there shouldn't be any paint damage. However, the C-hooks do look like they would pull the spoiler off. The fit guide on the Saris site suggests getting a set of the Hatch Huggers and replace the C-hooks. I have a set of the Hatch Huggers and they look like they will work fine.

I'll post back up if I ever get around to using my Bones rack.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I tried using the Bones rack, and I am returning it. Even with the hatch huggers, the straps go over the spoiler and cause it to deform (luckily it is plastic so it snapped back in shape once the rack was removed). With long term use it looks like it would do some serious damager to the spoiler. I am surprised Saris had it listed under the fit guide. It does not seem safe at all.

I wouldn't be all that surprised. You can't really believe rack companies test fit every car on the market. I suspect they used historical data with this application and will change their fit guide after hearing from unhappy consumers or shops.

In responce to my complaint they claimed they actually tried a test-fit on the vehicle. I bet they did not try to test a loaded rack and did not think that the spoiler would flex once you out the bikes on.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump for an update.

I installed my Saris Bones Rack on to my Legacy today and turbotaz is 100% correct. The Saris Bones will not work comfortably on any 05 Legacy Wagon that has the flat spoiler on the back of the car. I'm pretty sure all the new Legacys have this flat spoiler, even the Outbacks. I'll probably keep the Bones rack and use it on my WRX.

Roof Rack:

Can access trunk, no damage to bikes if rear-ended, a little harder for thieves to reach up to roof, can be major damage if you forget bikes/stuff are up there and drive into garage or low ceiling.

Hitch/rear mount:

Cannot access trunk, major rear end damage to car AND bikes, easier for thieves, easier to load bikes, no garage/ceiling clearance issues

Archived