LegacyGT.com

Kics Vs H&r Wheel Spacers

red beast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm looking into buying 15mm wheel spacers

two different kinds

1. kics project wheel spacer that do not require stud replacement and don't have the hub lip for the rim to rest on.

http://store.yahoo.com/import-store/kiprwhsp.html

2. h&r which required all studs to be replaced with longer ones and it has the hub lip to transfer the weight.

http://www.optionimports.com/1025560.html

any thoughts good or bad?

With a 15mm spacer, I would most certainly suggest getting longer studs. You will get fewer turns on your lugnuts, and will put more strain on them.

BTW, what are you getting 15mm spacers? Find some wheels with a +60 offset?

i have the question at nasioc also.

one reply was with a sti and studs. to get the studs out of the back you have to pull the axles.

i'll have to look on the back of my car to see if the studs will come out without axle removal.

the only reason why i like the kics is that they are easily removed for the stockers to go back on. what's bad is that the kics don't have a hub ring so, the stress is going to be all on the studs.

has anyone removed the rear studs yet?

found some rims with a 55mm offset, 7mm inward :mad:

Unless you have clearance issues to the struts, I wouldn't use a 15 mm spacer that didn't call for longer studs or have a machined hub ring. There just won't be much engagement room for the lugs and there would be a tremendous amount of stress on the lugs.

A 5 mm spacer would probably do the trick for you. There are cheap, do not require longer studs and are thin enough to let your wheels still grab the stock hub.

Unless you have clearance issues to the struts, I wouldn't use a 15 mm spacer that didn't call for longer studs or have a machined hub ring. There just won't be much engagement room for the lugs and there would be a tremendous amount of stress on the lugs.

A 5 mm spacer would probably do the trick for you. There are cheap, do not require longer studs and are thin enough to let your wheels still grab the stock hub.

i've looked on the internet for 5mm "simple" spacers and couldn't find them. whatever i did find were for american stock cars not subies.

without spacers the tire selection on a 18x7, 55mm offset is limited to 8.9" overall width with an outside diameter of 25.9". with a 15mm spacer ic go to 9.8" with a 27"outside diameter. stock is 48mm offset, 9" overall width, and a outside diameter of 26.9"

remember i have the 3.or with extra travel at top.

i agree that having the lip is the best but, if the stockers go back on i have to use open end lug nuts or find extra long enclosed lug nuts.

i've looked on the internet for 5mm "simple" spacers and couldn't find them. whatever i did find were for american stock cars not subies.

without spacers the tire selection on a 18x7, 55mm offset is limited to 8.9" overall width with an outside diameter of 25.9". with a 15mm spacer ic go to 9.8" with a 27"outside diameter. stock is 48mm offset, 9" overall width, and a outside diameter of 26.9"

remember i have the 3.or with extra travel at top.

i agree that having the lip is the best but, if the stockers go back on i have to use open end lug nuts or find extra long enclosed lug nuts.

Ya didn't look too hard for thinner spacers: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7978192410&category=42614

I'm also not sure what you base your max width numbers from. Stock offset is 55mm. There is usually more space to go inward than towards the fenders, although the flares on the 3.0R add space outboard. Still, I doubt that you will be able to cam more tire in with a 15 mm spacer rather than the 8mm Ebay spacer. 8 mm is pushing it for still supporting the wheel on the stock hub, but at least it would still be safe for the stock studs.

just looked on the back of the rims, stock offset is 48mm. a 55mm rim will leave it 7mm closer. the hub lip is about 8 mm.

adding a 5mm spacer only leaves 3mm for the rim to transfer its weight on. not a good idea.

i can get a bigger tire on if i use the 15mm spacer. the problem is that they don't make a tire thats 8.9" overall width (max.) with a 27" diameter (max.). if they did i could get the tire on. i can get a tire thats 9.8" width with a 27" diameter but will need the 15mm spacer.

Archived