LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT drivetrain humm

I test drove a 06 legacy gt wagon at the subaru dealer the other day.

It was great, so much more responsive then my 03 wrx. Anyways, i noticed that the drivetrain had a humming noise every time i was cruising. Even just a tiny bit of throttle and the noise would be there, then as soon as i take my foot off the gas, the noise is gone. Sounds like the diffs, or tranny, but is this normal?

I know for my WRX, it doesnt have this type of noise at all, it just has a super loud gear whine when engine braking.

I think this is normal.

It should blend in with road noise on anything but the smoothest roads.

I have this, but pretty much non of my rubber bits are stock anymore, so i get a bit more NVH, so I don't know what normal is anymore.

ride in the back seat, while someone is driving the car, listen for noise from the rear diff or wheel bearings. If that's quiet you should be good.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, i can hear the humming from the drivers seat. It wasnt like a roar, but it was def noticable. Im guessing that this is just the normal drivetrain noise, but im a little weary because i dont get the same noise from my wrx, which has more NHV to begin with.

You must not be from the USA, we only got 5MT in our 05GT wagons. I have a Blk one.

There's a list in the News of how many in which colors were made. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-my2005-production-numbers-model-color-83304.html

Yes the tranny is loud, but still check out the rear of the car for either the diff or wheel bearings. I just replaced my rear diff at 142,000 miles. My rear bearings are still original. I have a early 05.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived