LegacyGT.com

4EAT Questions - Stuck in 1st sometimes

• I Donated

This isn't about a Legacy, but its the BD Legacy GT drivetrain (EJ25D w/ 4EAT).

I'm looking at buying a 98 Impreza 2.5RS.

The seller says that sometimes the transmission won't shift into second gear. If you let off the gas, then start pushing the gas again sometimes it will catch second and be perfectly normal for awhile.

I'm not very knowledgeable about automatic transmissions. I've always dealt with 5 speeds.

What does this sound like it could be? Dirty fluid? Clogged filter? Dirty valve body? Toasted bands? Bad trans all together?

I don't mind dropping a new trans into it if I have to, but before I buy it I would like to know what I'm getting into.

I'll be going to look at the car and test drive it tomorrow to see how it does.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

you won't learn much if it doesn't do it on the test drive, but see how it shifts when you shift it by hand.

the 4eat is designed to hold 1st when the selector is put in 1. same for 2, it starts in second and stays in second. i think the only exception being once you hit the rev limit or something like that. it is designed to shift up at a certain RPM to protect the engine / trans.

if you buy it, buy it as though it needs a trans. then if you get lucky and don't need one you are ahead. generally speaking the trans in these cars are very reliable if they get serviced on a regular basis.

My car is driven hard and surprisingly the 4EAT is still intact. It is now due for new fluid but that's about it. I also did change it about 15-20k miles ago.

I tested out the theory of putting it into 1st and it will bounce off the rev limiter and it will NOT up shift. Maybe it's just certain years?

• I Donated
I tested out the theory of putting it into 1st and it will bounce off the rev limiter and it will NOT up shift. Maybe it's just certain years?

o_O

Is your engine broken now? lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

what can i tell you, i read it online, a subaru forum no less.

Lol if I put it in first and rev it to redline it won't upshift John. Was responding to johneggs statement.

No my engine isn't broken now. That thing takes a HELL of a beating it sees redline quite often. Almost at 180k.

Archived