LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on Polk Audio Speakers/Amp?

maddoc

^^^^^^^^^^

Those ID components are good stuff.

And cheaper than the Polks - apparently they were $135 a couple weeks ago! What about their coaxial stuff? I don't want to leave the rears hanging, and I have a bit of OCD, so I like things to match :lol:

Any input on the amps?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where am I looking? I see the 6.5" component CTX65CS for $160, their 6" coaxials CTX6 for $100 and 6.75" coaxial CTX65 for $118.

Will a 6.75 fit in a 6.5 hole? Would it be better to get a 6" ?

Where am I looking? I see the 6.5" component CTX65CS for $160, their 6" coaxials CTX6 for $100 and 6.75" coaxial CTX65 for $118.

Will a 6.75 fit in a 6.5 hole? Would it be better to get a 6" ?

My mistake- I looked at the "You save $109" part as being the price. :lol:

You will need a spacer/adapter for any 6.75" speaker, and for most 6.5" speakers. If someone says that a speaker is just a 6" speaker, they are shortneing the 6.5" to 6" (there are no speakers that are just 6")

The CTX6 is what other manufacturers would call a 6.5" speaker, and the CTX65 is really a 6.75" speaker. At least that is how the mounting diameters line up with those of other companies.

Hmm... I think I might jump on these. Whats the better choice for the rear in the GT? The CTX6 or the CTX65 ? Is one going to be more of a bitch to install?

I know who I'll be going to for spacers/adapters :)

With adapters, both will be the same. The CTX6 will draw less sound to the rear (good for front seat occupants) while still giving the rear passengers good sound, while the CTX65 might have a tendency to pull the sound slightly rearward while giving ever-so-slightly more midbass.

CTX6 should (in theory, at least) sound cleaner with the same power. In THEORY.

Could make me an offer on my stuff ;):lol:

JL Amps and Focal speakers... I imagine I could take an amazon gift card as well :)

I'd go to the stores and see what sounds good to you with your own music. I'm not a huge fan of RF or Kicker, I think they're all hype personally.

I'd also steer clear of manufacturers that make OEM stereo's :S Some may disagree with this, thats why it's MY opinion, but it just seems that they dont make as high quality stuff. (Infinity, Bose, Sony, Panasonic, JBL)

The list above lists some good stuff, I'd try and find some good deals that way.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

:lol: I like to take other peoples advice - Its really hard for me to go to a store (let alone find a store that sell these items)

With adapters, both will be the same. The CTX6 will draw less sound to the rear (good for front seat occupants) while still giving the rear passengers good sound, while the CTX65 might have a tendency to pull the sound slightly rearward while giving ever-so-slightly more midbass.

CTX6 should (in theory, at least) sound cleaner with the same power. In THEORY.

Hmm... goddamn it more decisions. I'm not good with decisions.

The other thing I was looking at was mounting depths. the Shallowest ID is the CTX6 at 2.29", the CTX65 is 2 7/8" (2.875" I think?) and the CTX65CS is 2.75". I don't know what the 05 Legacy mounting depth is.

I actually like the sound of mine, but none of the speakers are amped. Just a box with a JL sub in the trunk.

If I remember correctly its all kicker stuff.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

I actually like the sound of mine, but none of the speakers are amped. Just a box with a JL sub in the trunk.

If I remember correctly its all kicker stuff.

mines still all OEM with a headunit now :lol:

I'm still using the OEM headunit with the jazzy aux in. I'm satisfied. Its a subaru and I'm not willing to spend another 1500 on a system in a cars thats only worth 10k at this point.
Slammed more than your girlfriend.

The other thing I was looking at was mounting depths. the Shallowest ID is the CTX6 at 2.29", the CTX65 is 2 7/8" (2.875" I think?) and the CTX65CS is 2.75". I don't know what the 05 Legacy mounting depth is.

With my 3/4" spacers, none of those depths are an issue.

So which coaxials? LOL... I'm not an audiophile. What a good song for midbass to determine ?

The CTX6 coaxials use a 5" cutout, while the CTX65 use a 5 5/8" cutout. 5 5/8" will work in the rear, but it might get tight behind the door panel, particularly toward the front of the door panel (where it curves toward the door skin). With a wide mounting diameter, the adapter/spacer has to be bowed out a bit (see below):

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/For%20Sale/LegacySpacers01.jpg

The 4 on the left are pretty standard, while the ones on the right had to have the mounting ring expanded to accomodate the larger diameter. You can only expand the mounting diameter so far before they would interfere with the door panel.

I would go with the CTX6 in the rear and never look back.

I'll take your advice so long as my wide range of music will sound good rock to hip hop to house to blahhh :)

I always say to put most of the emphasis on the front and only do enough in the rear to not leave them leaning forward to hear the music.

The CTX6 will be fine for the rear passengers.

The CTX6 coaxials use a 5" cutout, while the CTX65 use a 5 5/8" cutout. 5 5/8" will work in the rear, but it might get tight behind the door panel, particularly toward the front of the door panel (where it curves toward the door skin). With a wide mounting diameter, the adapter/spacer has to be bowed out a bit (see below):

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/For%20Sale/LegacySpacers01.jpg

The 4 on the left are pretty standard, while the ones on the right had to have the mounting ring expanded to accomodate the larger diameter. You can only expand the mounting diameter so far before they would interfere with the door panel.

I would go with the CTX6 in the rear and never look back.

I wonder if those would work for an 09 Forester. I just did my buddy's system and the brackets supplied by Crutchfield were a laughable joke. I ended up reusing the OEM speaker frame after some Dremel work.

Nice product BTW, I subscribed to the link in your sig for future reference :)

4-channel I'm assuming. I want to power the fronts and the rears off the amp. And then I'm going to need a separate amp for the sub. I have an older Memphis amp I could use, but I think I'm going to put that in my 99 Outback with some cheaper DB651s all around (it's the DD/hauler...DD doesn't get as much love :lol: )

If you use a 4-channel, run 2 channels to the front components, run the rear channel to a subwoofer setup, and leave the rear speakers running off of the HU. Then you only have 1 amp, which is much more simple wiring.

Or buy a 5-channel amp and go that route.

Archived