LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on Polk Audio Speakers/Amp?

maddoc

So I'm finally getting around to looking into speakers and amps for my car. I picked up my headunit (Pioneer Z120BT) about a year ago, and the speakers are now ready... I've been looking at Polks because I like the way they look and they seem to be a good build (my dad has home audio speakers from Polk which are awesome), but I really no NOTHING about choosing speakers.

In my old RS I had a Diamond Audio 10" MacDaddy sub powered by A Memphis Audio amp, and stock speakers...worked but wasnt great. The Sub and Amp were bought 2nd hand from a friend.

In anycase, these are the pieces I was looking into:

Polk Audio PA500.4

Polk Audio PA1200.1

Polk Audio MM6501 (fronts/components)

Polk Audio MM651

Going to need a capacitor too I believe?

I have an older Diamond Audio 10" MacDaddy sub that I'm going to reuse so I don't need a sub.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I do like to have my music sound crisp and clean...Are these good items, or should I be looking at something else? I'm not trying to break the bank on audio, but want it to sound nice... I have too many other toys/projects/etc to waste money on :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, you will not need a capacitor. On a very modest sized system like this, it will add absolutely no benefit.

Second, don't buy speakers on the way they look. They will be behind door trims so you'll never see them again after the install. Polk Audio are ok, but for the money there are many other better speakers on the market. Look into Crescendo for a start. There are massive differences in the way a home theatre system sounds to the way a car stereo sounds.

Go out and audition as many speakers as you can with your own music.

One last thing, unless you take passengers in the rear often, then don't waste money on installing coaxial speakers in the rear. They add nothing to the overall sound quality of a stereo. The sound is meant to coming from the front of you. Use the money you save on not buying rear speakers and reinvest it into a better set of splits or some sound deadening material.

Hope this helps.

I've heard of Crescendo... I went to their website and it says the speakers are sold out :(

I was trying to buy Polk because I have an Amazon gift card :lol:

Any other suggestions for speakers/amps/etc? Memphis Audio?

Look into gear from the following. They are in no particular order, just brands I have used and done installs with over the years into my own and others project/SQ competition cars:

Audison

CDT

Cerwin Vega

DLS

Focal

Hertz

Image Dynamics

Morel

RE Audio

a/d/s

Eton

Harmon Kardon

McIntosh

Milbert

Nakamichi

Schneider

I love my Polk speakers. Way better than anything else I have heard, but then again I don't have a top of the line head unit. Also, depending on year of your legacy you may be better off going with coaxials over component sets. Just my $.02, as I like to have my highs and lows well mixed

I love polk speakers as well, have used them in my last two cars. Of course you will definitely have to always use components or else you just miss it all and keep the components in front and coax in the back.

Look into gear from the following. They are in no particular order, just brands I have used and done installs with over the years into my own and others project/SQ competition cars:

See, I'm not looking into SQ competition, I just want a nice sounding set of speakers that can handle a full range of music and not become distorted as the volume raises, but I'm not going to be bumping 180db

I have not heard the MM series, but I have heard (and I make a LOT of spacers/adapters to fit)the Polk dB series speakers, and they are very popular. I like the sound of the dB series, and reviews have the MM sounding even better. The dB series is fairly smooth, with no harsh highs or too muddy midbass.

I have not heard the MM series, but I have heard (and I make a LOT of spacers/adapters to fit)the Polk dB series speakers, and they are very popular. I like the sound of the dB series, and reviews have the MM sounding even better. The dB series is fairly smooth, with no harsh highs or too muddy midbass.

I like the sound of that. I may just stick to my original plan and get them. Then I just need to find some good amps to power my sub and the components.

See, I'm not looking into SQ competition, I just want a nice sounding set of speakers that can handle a full range of music and not become distorted as the volume raises, but I'm not going to be bumping 180db

The list of speakers I made above will sound nice. They have entry level to SQ comp level ranges. I wasn't suggesting you go out an purchase a $2,000.00 set of splits. I was just giving you some information on other manufacturers that will sound better than the Polks you are looking at.

Also, depending on year of your legacy you may be better off going with coaxials over component sets. Just my $.02, as I like to have my highs and lows well mixed

This is just completely false.

Audison

CDT

Cerwin Vega

DLS

Focal

Hertz

Image Dynamics

Morel

RE Audio

a/d/s

Eton

Harmon Kardon

McIntosh

Milbert

Nakamichi

Schneider

All those and no Rainbows? ;)

Also, depending on year of your legacy you may be better off going with coaxials over component sets. Just my $.02, as I like to have my highs and lows well mixed
This is just completely false.

A good set of properly-powered coaxials could easily sound better than components. Actually, a good set of coaxials run off of only HU power may well sound better than a more expensive (but power-hungry) components.

The blanket statement that it is false to say that he may be better off with coaxials than with components is...well...false.

Clearly, your list of recommended brands says that you have heard some good speakers. Wouldn't it be possible (probable) that a coaxial set from one of those brands sound better than a lesser set of components?

A good set of properly-powered coaxials could easily sound better than components. Actually, a good set of coaxials run off of only HU power may well sound better than a more expensive (but power-hungry) components.

The blanket statement that it is false to say that he may be better off with coaxials than with components is...well...false.

Clearly, your list of recommended brands says that you have heard some good speakers. Wouldn't it be possible (probable) that a coaxial set from one of those brands sound better than a lesser set of components?

I was attempting to elaborate on my response but was interrupted by someone at work and pressed 'submit' while I was talking to them. LOL

I was mainly responding to the fact that it doesn't matter what model year the OPs Legacy is, a set decent set of splits will always sound better than a decent set of coaxials. Yes, a set of CDT CL-E61 coaxial speakers will sound better than a set of $80 Pioneer splits BUT when it comes to the type of car a set of speakers is being installed, then splits will always sound better than the equivalent coaxials.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garbo41610 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

Audison

CDT

Cerwin Vega

DLS

Focal

Hertz

Image Dynamics

Morel

RE Audio

a/d/s

Eton

Harmon Kardon

McIntosh

Milbert

Nakamichi

Schneider

All those and no Rainbows? ;)

Yes, ok I missed the Rainbows. But I wasn't making a list of EVERY brand of speaker I have installed LOL. Rainbows are up there amongst my favourites at the moment actually. I am currently playing with a set of 3way Rainbows for a friends car that are amazing.

I was just busting your balls. Like i said, your list is impressive. Entry level from most any of them will sound great compared to most big-box brands.

My Rainbow CSX 265 comps sound pretty good, particularly for the price.

I also agree with your general thought process, so i don't want to come across as argumentative.

The Polk dB happen to be one of the rare times when you get a good bang for the buck that has less-than-average weaknesses. Older Pioneer REV series and early 2000's Infinity Kappa speakers come to mind there as well- big brands that over-deliver for the price, particularly when compared to their competition. That virtually locks up the fac that Polk will pull the line soon.

OK so you have a gift card from Amazon... good.

Here's my list of choices for components under a 100 bucks that I'd go (IMHO):

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-R152-S-5-25-Inch-Component/dp/B002X786XQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311686323&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R152-S 5.25-Inch Component Speaker System: Electronics[/ame]

Rockford Fosgate R152-s... It's entry level for components, but like you said; you want something that won't distort when you crank the he11 out of the stereo, clear and crisp, also wont break bank.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB6501-6-5-Inch-Component/dp/B000P0R6LQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1311686522&sr=1-4]Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Electronics[/ame]

Here are the polks that everyone rants and raves about, again its 97 bucks and they offer great lows, mids, and highs. They will take whatever you give out to them without sounding crackly, distorted or broken. You'll be able to hear every instrument in an orchestra, or distinctly be able to hear the bass guitar in the background of a rock track..

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Electronics

Here are the polks that everyone rants and raves about, again its 97 bucks and they offer great lows, mids, and highs. They will take whatever you give out to them without sounding crackly, distorted or broken. You'll be able to hear every instrument in an orchestra, or distinctly be able to hear the bass guitar in the background of a rock track..

If I'm looking at the DB6501s, I might as well go one up and get the MM6501, which was my original plan.

Archived