LegacyGT.com

Lack of cruise control

I've got a 1999 Legacy SUS with 116K on it, purchased it used just over a month ago. The cruise control has never worked, but I only just got to looking around enough to find something useful.

I can turn it on and the light will show; playing with the toggle on the steering wheel gives me a click from inside the dash, but it does not engage; does not hold speed nor accelerate upon command.

I took this video under the hood earlier today:

http://youtu.be/Wk21DJySyBo

Sorry for the absolutely junky quality - I had to make do with my cell phone. It should still be possible to see - basically, following the cable from the back of the CC module, I found a rubber hose just dangling - and I assume "just dangling" is not the proper configuration. Where is it supposed to go?

(And yes, I've posted this on a couple of forums - seeing which one has the most useful advice on my year/model)

Speedometer seems to work fine. Don't know what I'd look for to tell if the brake pedal switch is bad; brake lights illuminate when I press it...

Looking at the service manual, the dangling hose I found seems to be meant for a vacuum pump. Would that disable CC/ how does one actually reconnect it (epoxy, hose clamp...)?

Okay, easy enough - the shop manual didn't have much of a helpful picture so I had to feel around for the nipple the CC hose was detached from. I can cruise now, though I'm a little worried about why it was disconnected in the first place. Hopefully owner's choice, or accident... not as a safety measure.

Archived