LegacyGT.com

Where in the WORLD is the automatic transmission dipstick 96 GT???

Hi all,

For the past 2 hours I've been looking for the damned automatic transmission dipstick in my GT. I've looked in every possible location that is detailed in the 4 different downloads of service manuals, my Haynes manual and even tried to eye it out.

I can't seem to find it *anywhere* at all...only thing I can think of is that some idiot broke off the handle and the nub is covered in grease/dirt, or they put a bolt over it or something.

If anyone has a detailed pic, or whatever, let me know.

Thanks.

EDIT : Some dinkbag broke the handle off and put a piece of black tape over the nub left...wtf....some people's kids.

you can go to a shop and pay ~$100 - $125 and swap it all out.

or disconnect one of the hoses that go to the radiator and then, start the car and pump out a gallon. stop the car and refill a gallon. continue until all the fluid comes out new and clean. ( this scares me since i lost a trans to low fluid.)

or my personal favorite, remove the plug in the trans oil pan and drain (about 3.5 - 4 qts.it holds about 10 qts. total). re-install the plug. add new ATF in the same amount as was drained. drive the car around the block hand shifting into all gear selections. repeat this process 3 times and ~80% of your fluid will be new. and unlike motor oil where the old oil is the weak link in a mixed old / new setup, part new and part old AT fluid is ok and no weak link exists.

drain and fill 4 times and you will replace about 90% of the old fluid. if you change your own oil you can do a trans drain and fill every other time or once a year and keep your ATF fresh all the time.

PS: the dip stick is very difficult to read when the engine is running. it is helpful to look at both sides and use the lowest mark as the actual level. i always check it with the engine off first to be sure i'm in the ball park and then do it witht he engine running at full operating temp.

Archived