LegacyGT.com

Newbie with a problem

Howdy fellow Subaru lovers!

I purchased my first Subaru two days ago. A 1997 Legacy L wagon with the 2.5 motor swapped in. The person who sold it to me stated it runs a bit off due to not swapping in the 2.5 ECU as well.

The problems I am experiencing are twofold:

1.) The engine is redlining at what reads about 5K, yet redline on the tach is about 6250 RPM.

2.) There seems to be inconsistencies firing, as if the timing is wayyyy off; the car seems to be lacking in the power it should have (the engine has a few mods that I am sure of, such as intake, MSD ignition pack and wiring, etc - also was told camshaft, pistons, etc upgraded)

Anyways, the check engine light came on...and as soon as I could snap a few pictures of the car, it refused to start. Once I could get it in to a local auto parts store, I did an electrical systems test, got a new battery, and the car starts...but still runs quite off.

They stated the computer reads all cylinders are misfiring, paired with "no crankshaft position sensor"

Tomorrow I install the new crankshaft position sensor. Does anyone know where this is located so I can do it myself, or have the same auto parts place do it?

Also, should I just go ahead and buy a 2.5 motor ECU (I will be visiting my local mechanic/tuning shop tomorrow also)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

the crank position sensor is located dead center on the front of the engine under the alternator and right where the black timing cover meets the block. it has one screw holding it in and a wire connector going to it.

the ecu did not need to be changed to make this engine run on this car. but if the ECU does not ''match'' the car it could throw a code . the wiring harness in the car needs to match the ECU. on some years they moved some of the ''pins'' on the ECU.

if the car is running crappy i would check the timing belt. this is the most common cause of issues when doing a swap, especially if the belt is replaced.

on a side note, putting a 2.5L engine in a legacy L car is asking for trouble. the 2.5L engine has haed gaskets issues and the 2.2L engine does not. better to have stuck with the 2.2L engine.

is your first post correct? no typos? ej25 was swapped into a leagcy?

• I Donated
The crankshaft position sensor can cause a misfire on all 4 cylinder and make the car run like crap. Get a new one, put it on, and report back

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Thank you guys.

Yes, johnegg I was informed it was the 2.5L swapped in. They also claimed to have upgraded the head gaskets to removed said common issue for that motor. To be honest though, I can only take their word for it at this point.

And broknindarkagain, I will most certainly do. I am glad that what you say agrees with what my error code stated!

• I Donated
Yeah, should be an easy fix. The crankshaft position sensor basically tells the engine when to fire the cylinders...if its not working right, the cylinders wont fire when they should....causing a misfire on all 4 cylinders

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Checking back in with ya'll....

So, thanks to your explanation, johnegg; I was able to install the new sensor within a few minutes. And brokindarkagain, you were entirely correct. Now that the new sensor is installed, the car shifts correctly, runs smoothly, and all around feels right.

I did take the car to my mechanic afterwards to have him test drive it, and also check out the mechanical condition of the motor and trans. He was very impressed, and said everything was legit, minus a couple gaskets. Those get fixed tomorrow. I feel like I got a steal of a deal on this Legacy. Thank you for the advice guys!

1300. Body shape is pretty close to great, interior is close to mint, but not quite. 260k on the body, supposedly less than 2k on the 2.5 motor which came with intake, top mount coilpack and other upgraded wiring, cd player, and sti exhaust. Supposedly the engine has new camshaft, head gasket, cranks. also, exedy stage 1 clutch and aftermarket flywheel.

Don't be too jealous I've already had to have new brake rotors and pads, it needs new tires, had to replace the cps, and it seems the throttle cables were ghetto rigged in place. Plus suspension on front right creaks like no other, so come next financial aid disbursement itll go to that. And the interior smells like pee. However, tomorrow I get winter wheels and tires, a set of 17" Impreza wheels with Blizzaks :)

Archived