LegacyGT.com

R6 vs CBR 600

Personally I would probably go for the Buell anyway. The R6 and CBR 600 will probably feel rather "plastic" relatively soon.

But I would say that you should try to get a test ride first - in that case you get a feeling for whatever you like best.

453747.png

I had a 99 CBR 600 (F4). It was awesome. I sold it with 26,000 miles, and it still rode beautifully.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

For track or street? What's your experience level? Are we talking current models, or something like an F4i?

For the track, unless you're a very talented racer, you won't get anywhere near the bike's potential, so just buy the one you like better.

For the street, both are uncomfortable, high strung and impractical. You'd be much better off with something like a Kawi Versys, SV650 or an FZ6. More comfortable, more practical, and cheaper to insure.

Get the bike you want. Ride all the bikes you are considering and buy whatever feels the best to you. Performance wise a r6 vs a 600rr are gonna be damn near the same. They are both about as reliable as the next 600cc sportbike. Buy the one that you think looks better and rides better.

Buells are cool but personally i dont care for them or to ride them.

Buells are cool but personally i dont care for them or to ride them.

Any reason why? I've always held them slightly higher. To me they seem more exotic/rare and look more refined - less sporty. But performance on their 1000cc bikes is off the wall. I'm also hesitant to get a 1000cc bike as my first bike. The one I'm looking at is a firebolt.

lol

For track or street? What's your experience level? Are we talking current models, or something like an F4i?

For the track, unless you're a very talented racer, you won't get anywhere near the bike's potential, so just buy the one you like better.

For the street, both are uncomfortable, high strung and impractical. You'd be much better off with something like a Kawi Versys, SV650 or an FZ6. More comfortable, more practical, and cheaper to insure.

Street. 0 riding experience other than the required 2-day course to get the M stamped on my lisence. Probably looking at older models to fit my budget. And as for the last comment - how is any bike practical for the street? They're dangerous, unsafe, and leave you prone to killing yourself - not to mention you can't carry groceries, people, or ... well anything. IMO practicality was out of the equation from the beginning.

lol

Crotch rockets with all the weight on your wrists will tire you quickly if you're not at the track all the time. A bike with a more upright riding position (but not cruiser style) is more comfortable to ride a low speeds when you don't have the wind in your chest supporting your weight.

In that case I'll suggest an offroad bike - like the Yamaha XT, Kawasaki KLR, Honda Transalp, Suzuki DR.

You have an upright position, an engine that's easy to control and also a relatively light motorcycle. In addition to that the parts are usually cheap in case you accidentally drop it.

And as long as you intend to use it as a commute bike the upright position and higher seating position will give you a lot better view of surrounding traffic.

453747.png

A smaller 4cyl vs a twin for a inexperienced rider = twin is better every time. More low tq, wider powerband, less revs = more forgiving, matters less what gear you are in. Personally if I were you I would be looking at either a SV650 or a Bandit1200.

Did I mention that sportbikes suck? It was always funny to smoke my friends on a big R1200RT BMW. Sure they were light but so what. I had Antilock = braking win. Insane suspension = easy to go fast on rough roads. BIG TWIN = doesnt matter what gear I am in, every gear is the right gear for the turn, just crack it open. Think about sportbikes and stoppies: the rake of the front forks is inappropriate for anyone other than an experienced rider.

Everyone has a different opinion on what bikes are best and people will try to tell you that there 1200 BMW can beat up on sportbikes but if they were up against a good rider on a sportbike they would get spanked because thats what sportbikes are for. Lightweight, perfectly balanced, high hp machines. Oh and they do have anti-lock brakes for most sportbikes these days. If sportbikes dont make sense then neither do sports cars, they are both aimed towards performance only. Do people go around bragging how they beat a 911 GT3 around a corner on a dirt track with there 4x4? Usually not lol

Buells a well balanced bikes with a really short wheel base and good trq. I just like high reving 4 cylinders vs the vtwin for sportbikes. Its what I like, get what you like better.

Its all about the riding experience. I agree that a SV650 is a great bike for a novice, rides nice is well balanced and has enough power to keep you entertained for a while. Get what feels best to you.

I loved my CBR. I did plenty of 100+ mile rides with no issues. No fatigue. Nothing. It was great. I'd ridden a few other bikes, but the CBR was comfortable, quick, and fun to ride. I also liked how small it felt. Very controllable. I could stand flat-foot when straddling the bike. It was confidence inspiring.

If I were going to get another bike now, though, I'd probably spend some time looking at a Ducati Monster or that new BMW.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Everyone has a different opinion on what bikes are best and people will try to tell you that there 1200 BMW can beat up on sportbikes but if they were up against a good rider on a sportbike they would get spanked because thats what sportbikes are for.

With equal riders, a supersport will be fastest on a racetrack. In the real world, the mechanical advantage is diminished by unfamiliar roads, bumpy surfaces and all the typical hazards the world throws at you when you're on a bike. A bike with good basic handling, upright ergos, and wide bars will be easier to ride quickly in most real world situations.

Also, if you start with a 'fast' bike, you can be lazy, and rely on power to go fast. If you start with a 'slower' bike, you'll have to become a better rider, and then when you buy a 'fast' bike, you'll still be a better rider.

Better rider > faster bike just about every time.

Don't get me wrong, I love sportbikes. I've had a lot of them, and I've ridden them on the road, dragraced and roadraced them. I've even toured on them. They just aren't the best choice for an all 'round street bike, especially for a first bike.

Take a hard look at the SV650. It's just about the perfect beginner bike for an enthusiast. Comfortable, light, good handling, and reasonable power. You can go plenty fast on one if you're a skilled rider. They even have racing classes for them.

A Versys is another excellent choice for most of the same reasons, but it has more upright ergos. As a first bike for a commuter, it would be my first choice. You can even put hard bags on it and go grocery shopping if you want. Who said bikes aren't practical? :D

Link to a versys?

Most people want a sport bike, because they look cool.

05GT Guru, experience says you are wrong on public roads. Sportbikes can be very fast on the track but are nowhere near as forgiving on public roads. Comparing a top end sport touring bike to a sportbike has nothing to do with comparing a 4x4 and a GT3. Only the best riders are going to be faster on sportbikes, not merely good riders. I eat merely good riders on sportbikes with my LGT.

Sportbikes do not magically make their riders better than they are - if anything, they demand more of the rider. There is a difference between being fast and feeling fast. Keep in mind that weight keeps the wheels well planted.

EDIT: BMW are lumbering like a Goldwing right? Wrong. This is what a lot of highway patrol ride too BTW.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKIcKnGKEtw]‪Jean Pierre Goy auf einer R1200RT‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Guys I never said a sportbike is the best bike out there and that the OP should get one, if that is what you are getting from my posts then you are reading what you wnat to read and not what i wrote. If you read my posts i state atleast 4 times that he should ride all the bikes he is considering and pick the one that feels the best to him. The only comment i made towards LALGT was that lots of people talk about there cruisers and how they can beat up on sportbikes but its usually NOT the bike its usually the rider you are beating. So making a comment like sportbikes suck just because you do not prefer them is a closed minded statement. I never said one bike is better than the other because different people want different things.

Same with sports cars, they can be very fast on the track but very unforgiving on public roads.

Truth be told i dont go fast or push the limits unless I am on a road that is in good shape and on those roads with equal riders a sportbike will win.

05GTGuru was ultimately agreeing with me (more or less): simply put, a sport touring can be superior to a sportbike in most ways for anytone who is not a highly skilled rider. Even then, only by a margin worth remarking on when on a prepped track or going in a straight line as margin for error at the edge becomes zero on any bike.

Additionally, an R1200RT is not a cruiser nor have I seen one mentioned in the thread. I should add that I have had a stable of sportbikes as well that I loved VERY much.

Marshall whatever you get I hope you enjoy it and I hope its not a nutbuster. (Shuddering to think of my poor testicles after roadtrips on my old GSXR)

Archived