LegacyGT.com

Swapping 92 5spd tran & diff to 95 car?

dbur

Hi,

Since my 95 Legacy wagon has a bad tranny and I have a good 92 drive line on hand I am trying to swap the tranny and dif to the 95. Both are 5spd.

I need to do the diff also since the tranny ratios between the two sets don't match.

I have both diffs out now, and though the cases look the same, there are some notable differences that could not be seen while installed.

1. The 92 diff has spline shafts that stick out in to the drive shafts which fasten with a spring pin. The 95 has splines on the axles which penetrate the diff.

Can I just swap the 92 axles to the 95 as well?

2. The rear diff bolt studs (pointing to the rear) that go through the rubber mounts are shorter for the 92 diff. They need to be longer for the 95 style mount braket. Do these studs screw out if I put on some jam nuts and back them out, or does the diff case have to be opened to do that?

Am I going to run into anything else that doesn't match? (Haven't got the 95 tranny out yet)

Thanks.

WOW

I can tell you the studs should be able to be removed the normal way with 2 nuts.

I just replace the rear diff in my 05. I'm guessing they are the same basic concept.

That was the easy one.

I'm thinking you may have swap to a 95 to the 92 hubs.

May be call someone like Mike at AZPinstalls.com He's been helpful.

Good Luck

I'm assuming you have asked over on NASIOC.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That looks like it works for me too. Got the axles out and it seems like they'll swap directly with the diff.

Also looks like I can just swap the diff covers also for the longer studs.

Thanks.

Turns out the diff rear studs backed out fairly easily so I just swapped the studs. Swapping the axles also worked out OK.

Unpleasant surprise is the 95 drive shaft flange does not match 92 diff flange. Hopefully the 92 drive shaft will swap in to the 95, or I have another problem to resolve. Would have been nice to have discovered before I had the diff swap completely done.

Don't have tranny out of the 95 yet so that still might turn up some problems. Did drain a bunch of metal filings out.

Glad to hear your making progress.

I hope the slpines on the tail shaft are the same.

You may want to call the guy's at East Coast Swappers.com They do a lot of Subaru swaps. They happen to be about a mile from where I'm sitting right now. They may have some info for you.

Sorry I didn't think of them sooner.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

Here's an update.

To change the 5spd tranny from the 92 legacy to the 95 legacy I had to:

• also swap the rear diff since the ratios are different
  • swap the rear axels since the rear diff on the 95 is an 'inny' and the 92 rear diff is an 'outy'
  • replace the front drive shaft section with one from a Forester(?) since the lengths were different. Also the front bearing section that goes into the tranny was messed up from all the ger metal floating around in the bad tranny.
  • swap the drive shaft center bearing mount since the Forester one was off by ~1.5".
  • swap the tranny electrical wiring
  • Left the longer tranny dipstick from the 92. It works fine in the 95 which had a short dipstick tube.

So now it's back on the road, though I have a problem with the AWD. The drive line binds up when cornering :-(. I either have a bad AWD cluthc in the tranny I swapped in or the tire sizes are too far off. The fronts are 6'-3.5" rolling circumference. The rears are 6'-3.25 and 6'-4". A bit out of spec but I didn't think it would be that bad for a short distance. I guess it's parked now again until I can get some matched circumference tires to check it with, and then if it's still bad I need to do another tranny swap. :-( :mad:

Archived