LegacyGT.com

2008 Fog Light Replacement

Any of you guys replace the original fog lights that are installed? I was washing the car yesterday and noticed that a rock broke through the lens of one of the fog lights.

I would like to change them out with ones that will actually make a difference, any ideas? LEDs would be nice too.

Man, i think im going to have to put on a clear laminx film over my fogs or something. it might reduce the chances of cracking my fogs.

But to the OP. I bought my kit from subaru. and im not positive but you may be able to uninstall the old light from the brackets and reuse the brackets on different fogs. im assuming any fog lights with the same diameter would work.

But you say you want one that "actually make a difference" you mean in the fog or light output? I put 3000k hids in my fogs and man are they bright. Havent had the chance to really test them in fog but they definitely help at night. You want LED output? like the audi type ones?

Theres always custom but what is your budget?

Well the LEDs on the Audi's are the DRL. I do like the look but don't feel like baking my headlights to get the look. The "difference" I am looking for is so I can actually tell that they are one without having to look at reflection of the car in front of me. I live near a river and the fog has been quite intense and the lights do nothing noticeable. I turn them on/off in the middle of it and notice no difference.

I'll have to take a look and see what the measurements are and see if I can just get a replacement from Subaru and then replace the blubs.

What kit did you do for the HIDs for the fogs? I take it they have the transformer?? with it that you'd have to mount somewhere?

Don't really have a budget, trying to figure out what the options and then go from there.

ive got a 09, and my passanger side lens is cracked. I picked up replacements off ebay. They are aftermarket oem replacements made by TYC. ( iirc the pair was like $140 ) I havent had a chance to install them yet.

Well the LEDs on the Audi's are the DRL. I do like the look but don't feel like baking my headlights to get the look. The "difference" I am looking for is so I can actually tell that they are one without having to look at reflection of the car in front of me. I live near a river and the fog has been quite intense and the lights do nothing noticeable. I turn them on/off in the middle of it and notice no difference.

I'll have to take a look and see what the measurements are and see if I can just get a replacement from Subaru and then replace the blubs.

What kit did you do for the HIDs for the fogs? I take it they have the transformer?? with it that you'd have to mount somewhere?

Don't really have a budget, trying to figure out what the options and then go from there.

Ill post pics of the fogs after I host them and show them to you. I got an ebay kit (xentec) for like 70 shipped. They come with ballasts, bulbs and connectors. You just have to find a place to mount the ballasts. I mounted them by the tow hooks. They are bright but I have hids in the headlights too and aim them pretty low on the ground but even so, when I turn the fogs on, you can tell. Not a big difference since them are not meant to be a beam but more so, scattered light in front of the car so light doesn't necessarily bounce back at you like headlights

Our fog lights are pretty useless the way its adjusted from the factory. With HIDs, technically, its brighter, but you can't tell when you are sitting in your seat driving.

With LED bulbs, 9006, its a cheaper alternative to HIDs, but it won't be bright.

If you want a difference, re-adjust them so they aim higher, and put some HIDs, but I don't recommend eBay stuff, remember, you get what you paid for.

+1 for adjusting them upwards and getting hids

I did the independent fog light mod with PIAA Bulbs

Are the fogs better? Yes but marginally w/ bulb upgrade. I can tell when I have the fogs on w/ low beam off. They become more noticeable when the road starts to curve downwards but the car is still level. I guess this is what they are really meant for...

I would upgrade to HIDS personally in the fogs. I would go ddmtuning.com cause they're HIDS are like $40

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I just went on ddmtunings website and they are in fact 35 bucks! I coulda sworn I saw a thread somewhere where they were over 100! I guess the "u get what u pay for" saying doesn't apply here! Didn't go into depth and see if they had 3000k bulbs available or not but I guess if u don't mind going white in the fogs or hid kit with yellow film

I just went from a 2007 limited to a 2009 and can tell you that the 2007 fogs were head and shoulders above my new ones. They were brighter and had an excellent stream of light to the peripheral sides of the car. I can't tell the newer ones are even on. Plus the 2007 lights looked 10x sleeker. Just my 2¢.

I doubt the 05-07 fogs will work but if they are similar, they might be a good alternative because i think they are projector type

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z314/imprezsing04/IMG00925-20110702-1936.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z314/imprezsing04/IMG00910-20110702-1337.jpg

...those are my 3000k fog lights

one is aimed a little off and i can definitely notice it more on the high-aimed one

I doubt the 05-07 fogs will work but if they are similar, they might be a good alternative because i think they are projector type

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z314/imprezsing04/IMG00925-20110702-1936.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z314/imprezsing04/IMG00910-20110702-1337.jpg

...those are my 3000k fog lights

one is aimed a little off and i can definitely notice it more on the high-aimed one

Does your fog lights use an H3 55W bulb?

What about good yellow bulbs any use the PIAA's are thy worth the extra cost? The HID seems like a lot of work, I have them on my main lights and it was a half had job to do it right. Changing bulbs should take about 15 min tops.

If PIAA is the way to go where can I get them for least amount of money?

Scott

What about good yellow bulbs any use the PIAA's are thy worth the extra cost? The HID seems like a lot of work, I have them on my main lights and it was a half had job to do it right. Changing bulbs should take about 15 min tops.

If PIAA is the way to go where can I get them for least amount of money?

Scott

Honestly, PIAAs are about 80 bucks? I had piaa ions on my old L fog lights and looking straight at them outside the car, they look white, a small tint of yellow, especially around the edges but the ground was def yellow.

My other RS I had yellow hella bulbs and I was happy but they werent a deep yellow. but while looking at my car, they offered a more yellow look than the PIAAS. Road brightness, the PIAAs were brighter.

I was in an accident and replaced them with yellow 2500k nokya bulbs. These were the least bright but the yellow-est of them all while looking straight on.

But none of them compare to the HID fogs. For 45 bucks from DDM, they are definitely worth the time and money (its even cheaper than the PIAAS). The output is alot better, especially with the poor 08/09 fog light optics.

Does your fog lights use an H3 55W bulb?

08/09 Fogs are 9006 Bulbs size

Archived