LegacyGT.com

loud solid knocking noise when turning.

Hey, i have recently bought a 1991 legacy RS. When im driving slowly, e.g in or out of a parking space or even when still. there is sometimes a loud solid one off knocking noise (just one knock) that occurs when i am turning the wheel, i have thoughts that it may be something to do with the steering rack, but im not sure. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks.

Probably the ball joint. Get underneath the front wheel and see if the boot is torn or if it'll push out any grease. If not it's shot. You can also check the outer tie rod boots while you're at it. More like a clunking noise, right?

thanks ill do that. yeah its kind of between a knocking and clunking noise. also when cornering at normal driving speeds, the steering wheel will sometimes violently vibrate and shake, however this will then stop if the corner is sharp enough and i can turn the wheel further round..

The ball joint can cause the clunk and the tie rod end can cause the shake. It could be either though. It's a simple enough job for the ball joint. I hate doing tie rod ends though. Pain trying to line them up perfectly back where they were.

Archived