LegacyGT.com

coolant service ?

Im due for a coolant service, if i flush the radiator and the block, can I use honda blue coolant? it is supposedly compatable with all coolants. I work at Acura, and have plenty of blue available.

At 30k I switch to Prestone Extended Life Coolant. Good for 5yrs.\150k. Changing you coolant out every 30k is stupid IMO when theirs other products that can last at least 5x longer. I have almost 170k now, with NO problems. It time to change it before winter. I'm switching to Amsoil coolant. That good for 7yrs. 250k. I been running Amsoil products for over 5yrs. Threw out my drive train. My OCI avg.15k with Amsoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea oil filters. Running Cobb stage1 93 map, max boost is still 16.2psi. Original motor & turbo are running like new. With no lubricating failures in almost 170k.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I also went to Prestone when I did my timing belt.

I have followed Mikes plan with my Spec B it's on a diet of Amsoil products, engine, tranny and rear diff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It is cheap if you do it yourself. Just because the container says "5 years" does not mean to use it that long, LOL. Extended life oil says it can go 10k. Do you change your oil every 10k?

It is maintenance. Treat it as such. Follow a maintenance routine/schedule and all is good. It is cheap insurance and you get to check your car. Chances are you find something that really needed to be addressed while doing simple maintenance.

Its like washing a car by hand. Why do it? Because thats when you find all the stuff wrong. You actually touch the entire car with your hands.

It is cheap if you do it yourself. Just because the container says "5 years" does not mean to use it that long, LOL. Extended life oil says it can go 10k. Do you change your oil every 10k?

No every 15k :rolleyes::lol:. OA's come back "Good for Continuous Use" I owe 3 turbo charged cars, 05 LGT 170k, 07 Solstice GXP 65k & 05 WRX 130k (G/F's car) That's 365k with no oil related failures. That all the proof I need that Amsoil does what it say it does. I drive 120 miles min. day round trip to work. I rotate my tires every 5k & a full under body check why'll it up on my lift. Once a week I check all fluid levels.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

An ounce of preventive maintenance is worth...

I am a firm believer in more maintenance over less. If you change the fluids regularly that is far more important than the brand (sometimes). If you like Amsoil, by all means use it. Just dont forget to change it.

Archived