LegacyGT.com

Maintenance help

Hello I drive a 2006 legacy 2.5 automatic non turbo. Its my first car and I am not sure what kind of maintenance I should be doing. I got the car at 35,000 miles and its now at 81,000 miles. Every 5K miles I get an oil change & new air filter. I have also had the spark plugs and serpentine belts replaced. And got new brake pads. I have never taken it into a mechanic besides getting the rear wheel hub replaced. Im pretty poor, most of my money goes to the car payment :spin: so I have always had a friend work on the car for free instead of getting it serviced at a shop. I love this car and I need it to last! Is there anything else I should be doing to maintain it? How often do you need to rotate the tires? Are you suppose to change the transmission fluid? Any comments, tips, and/or links would be greatly appreciated!! I browsed the forums for hours and decided it would be easier just to ask :)

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what the fluid change interval for the automatic transmission is (probably 60k), but the differential fluid and coolant should be changed every 60k miles, along with a brake fluid change. The timing belt is due at 105k. Your owners manual will answer all your questions. It's probably in the glove box.

Get your tranny fluid and rear diff fluid changed. Replace your cabin air filter if you haven't done that already.

After doing that you may want to start considering new struts and some bushings (LCA bushings are prob shot with 81k. Mine were)

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

OP, in your case I wouldn't worry to much about the LCA bushings. Sounds like you not into the performance as much as some of us.

You should have the rear diff oil changed. tire rotation...is not all it's made out to be. Watch the tire wear, I check mine when I walk up to the car when it's sitting in parking lot. A good visual is to drive on dirt then drive onto the pavement and stop. Look at where the dirt is on all the tires, if you have odd worn spots they will show up.

Your air filter should be good for 30,000 miles you live in a dusty area.

Just use common sense and look the car over, get a feel for how it drives, if something seems or feels different ask your friend to check it out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the feedback. I located the owners manual and see the maintenance page has everything listed. I have a lead foot when driving and also do a lot of "off roading" despite the cars low ground clearance. I will have my friend check out the struts and bushings (and everything else in the owners manual).

Also I just noticed yesterday that my front right tire is about to pop. Its worn down to thread and metal with a crack that goes all the way around the tire. Thats what I get for not rotating them. In my defense, most of the tire is still in great condition. Its the inside 1" that is worn down to the metal, and its tough to see if you don't turn the tires to look. I am very glad I noticed because I thought they were perfectly fine. Now I have to get 4 new tires :mad:

Thanks for the feedback. I located the owners manual and see the maintenance page has everything listed. I have a lead foot when driving and also do a lot of "off roading" despite the cars low ground clearance. I will have my friend check out the struts and bushings (and everything else in the owners manual).

Also I just noticed yesterday that my front right tire is about to pop. Its worn down to thread and metal with a crack that goes all the way around the tire. Thats what I get for not rotating them. In my defense, most of the tire is still in great condition. Its the inside 1" that is worn down to the metal, and its tough to see if you don't turn the tires to look. I am very glad I noticed because I thought they were perfectly fine. Now I have to get 4 new tires :mad:

Sounds like you need an alignment. If you're considering any suspension parts do those first... if there is time.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived