LegacyGT.com

Car is DEAD

While driving home from work, I turned on the A/C and the car DIED, will not start, had a guy check it out and he says its not getting any spark. The plugs, wires and coil pack only have about 1200 miles on them.

He said it was giving a lot of codes, but didnt really say what they all were. He also said he thought the ECU (computer) had gone bad.

Any ideas or suggestions would really help me.

Thanks

UPDATE

So I couldnt stand it, I went and bought a Actron CP9580 Autoscanner.

I pulled the codes and I get the following 3

P0122 MOD $E1

Throttle / Pedal

Position Sensor A

Circuit Low Inut

P0340 MOD $E1

Camshaft Position

Sensor A Cuircuit

(Bank 1 or Single

Sensor)

P0122 MOD $E1

Throttle / Pedal

Position Sensor A

Circuit Low Inut

PENDING

Those are the only 3 codes I get when I use the scanner. I am not aware of this care having a I installed a new TPS about 3 weeks ago, so if thats still the issue, then I do not know what else to do with it.

If the Camshaft Position Sensor is bad, would it render the car useless?

Any help with these codes, or any advice on what I can do to get the car back running, is GREATLY appreciated.

unless you were hit by lightning, i doubt the ECU went bad.

no spark could be one of the 3 items you listed, but it could be the crank sensor.

but my first guess would be the timing belt.

year, model, miles and trans please??

when was the timing belt last done?

1997 Right Hand Drive Legacy L

233,500 miles

Timing Belt has about 40k on it.

How could I tell if its the timing belt? and if it is, is the car done now?

One symptom I have had the last 5 or 6 days,

When first starting the car, it might start, but most of the time, it bogs, then fires on the second try. Not sure if that may be a symptom of the cause of death.

It may be getting spark, I can not say for sure, I only said no spark because the guy who said the computer was bad said it was getting no spark also, so I do not trust his diagnosis.

Thanks

1997 Right Hand Drive Legacy L

233,500 miles

Timing Belt has about 40k on it.

How could I tell if its the timing belt? and if it is, is the car done now?

One symptom I have had the last 5 or 6 days,

When first starting the car, it might start, but most of the time, it bogs, then fires on the second try. Not sure if that may be a symptom of the cause of death.

It may be getting spark, I can not say for sure, I only said no spark because the guy who said the computer was bad said it was getting no spark also, so I do not trust his diagnosis.

if it is the timing belt, worst case is replace a few bent valves and new head gaskets. $1500 - $2200, or so, just a guess, much less if you do it your self.

the ''hard start'' the last 5-6 days, after you got it running how did it run?

try unplugging the maf sensor and see if that makes a difference. it is the first section of the plastic air intake right after the air filter box on the passenger side. unplug the oblong wire connector.

the hard start could be a timing belt jump, but usually it would run a little ruff.

if it is the the timing belt, the first step is to remove the timing covers for the cam sprockets on either side of the engine. turn the engine over nby hand untill the single ''hash mark'' on the front of the cam sprocket is in the 12 o'clock position. both cams should be the same.

checking the crank timing position is more difficult.

once the car started, after the second try, it ran fine all day, although if it sat for a while idleing, sometimes (but not all the time) it would stumble after a minute or so, sometimes it would die and sometimes it would idle back up. But as far as running condition, there was no notice of it running badly after the hard starting became an issue.

One other thing I forgot to mention, when the car died while driving, its almost as if it was out of gas, it turns over, just dosent start.

Next time spray some starting fluid in the intake and see if it fires, that will tell you if it is truly lacking fuel

• I Donated

does it sound like the engine is getting compression (normal sound for starting) or does it sound like its spinning REALLY fast without any resistance?

If its the second option, your timing belt is gone

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I bet it's just cranking away without turning over. Just what my ole, 2.0L turbo did when I broke the timing belt going 65-70 on the highway. The JDM motor I bought from Rising Sun Motors was WAY more fun though....just as soon as I set it up to be a left hand driver.

Archived