LegacyGT.com

Clearing the JDM projector headlight lenses.

eekay

What diameter are they? I can measure mine and let you know if you want to order some more that are the correct size...
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The angel eyes I received were about 100 mm in diameter.

Our second gen JDMs can fit 90 mm angel eyes.

I found this company called LightWerks and they sell angel eyes that are 80, 90, and 100 mm in diameter. They are only $32 shipped and they have great customer service and a 1 year warranty. They say the lights will last over 10,000 hours, which rounds up to 417 days.

Here is the link: http://shop.lightwerkz.net/CCFL-Angel-Eye-Kit

The company in Taiwan offered to refund $10 even though I paid them $37. I replied that that was not good enough. We'll see what they offer next.

And here is a really good angel eye DIY from LightWerks posted on NASCOCK, I mean NASIOC: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475717

Ah. Nice. Post some pictures when you get the LightWerks eyes in, please. I'd like to see what they look like before installation. :)

The first pic is of 1/2 of the kit. You get a (ballast, a pig tail, angel eye) x 2. The pig tail is nice so you can solder/wire it directly into your turn signal power. The actual angel eye is very slick. The older versions had a thick plastic housing that went around the CCFL, but the new version has done away with that. Also the angel eye is slightly flexible as a result, but don't push your luck

The second pic is of the angel eye sitting in the projector housing. What is nice about the JDM housing, is that there is a little space or slot at the bottom which allows the angel eye wiring to pass through.

I am tearing the rest of my JDMs apart as we speak to convert to the USDM light pattern. :)

I should test each angel eye to make sure they work before I bake the headlights and put them back together, lol. We'll see. I'll post a a pic of them when they are installed.

texaslegacy posted a pic of a set of second gen JDMs with TWO sets of angel eyes! It pissed me off because I wanted to order another set, lol. BTW, if you wanted a second set to fit in the high beam housing, 80mm eyes would fit nicely, although they wouldn't have a flat mounting surface like the projector housing. With some creativity, one could get them firmly mounted. I might do it later, but I want to get them installed ASAP. It has been many months since I was able to first track down some JDMs, get them, get the right HIDs, correct angel eyes, correct HID bulbs, lol.

They will look pretty bad ass. Especially since my wagon is undergoing some major body work and has a lot of primer and bondo on it right now, lol.

eyes2.thumb.jpg.78e7292b9e875cc91105101734edf244.jpg

angeleyes1.thumb.JPG.16408bc73d424f1f2b112a1abfa54a36.JPG

I just finished converting my JDMs to USDM light pattern. I should go to sleep, lol. I'll get up bright and early and see if I can find some time to install these bad boys/girls tomorrow! :)

I do have a large Honeydew list for the weekend, so we'll see.

Made a bit of progress today. Maybe I can bake and close them up tomorrow. I re did the USDM light pattern conversion I did last night. It was OK, but I wanted it as perfect as I could get it. Instead of tinfoil I used metal duct tape.

attach.thumb.JPG.f54ad669c260f748d5f93dbf780ef70b.JPG

eye.thumb.JPG.5fd235e01df426afeebe780ba45c485c.JPG

USDM.thumb.JPG.fe3e1b381644206159f851df726729f0.JPG

Nice! That'll certainly do as long as the tape can put up with the heat... Definitely let us know the turn-out. It's lookin' good, duder!

The tape is just temporary, hoser! :)

It is just to hold the wires in place that hold the angel eyes while the jb qwik cures. Then I removed the tape and trimmed the excess wire.

So I almost finished the angel eye and hid install but ran out of daylight. I could have done it a bit quicker, but I took pics of every step. I had to take all the wires out of the JDM headlight harness plug because they were very short. I then soldered/shrinkwrapped a pigtail to each JDM connection. And then tapped into the parking light power and ground.

The JDM harness plug has four connections. One for highs, one for lows, a city light, and power. I like options so I wired a pigtail for the city lights and a wire for the lows, even though I will be running HIDs. So the power to the lows was unnecessary, but I want the wiring in place in case I want to run halogen lows. If a HID craps out then I can just hook up the halogens.

A lot of people don't bother to wire up the city lights, but since I was there I wired them in. If I want to hook them up I can, and if I don't I don't have to. :)

I woke up early and worked till dark, but I wasn't quite able to finish the complete install. And I ordered chrome turn signal bulbs, but they hosebags sent me the wrong ones, so I had to use my orange stock bulbs. I did remove the orange turn signal housing though.

So take a look! They are pretty bad ass! A couple of hours early tomorrow morning should give me enough time to complete everything else. :cool:

test.thumb.JPG.77fe7e4a8ce13daec32334b4d79c9807.JPG

eyesone.thumb.JPG.5ea57ba68ddcd8ad0014c607a5eac854.JPG

Ha ha eekay! I bet you meant the foil tape, not the masking tape, derp. If I had to do it again I would just use foil since the JBweld would give you some time to slide the foil into place properly before it cured. The sticky foil tape is a one shot deal.

I hope it holds up too.

Haha. Yes. The Foil tape. It should hold up I would think. Not sure what the holding temp is, but the lights can get pretty hot when using HIDs. I suppose we'll see! Everything looks really good though. :)

Two days into the install and the foil tape is still holding up with a good cutoff. We'll see how it holds up long term. If I have to do it again I would go with the foil tape and the jbweld for peace of mind and ease of installation.

DSCF6485.thumb.JPG.06cb28b0176a2f51ebebec1f4f2b57a8.JPG

DSCF6488.thumb.JPG.18fc230090f4db78978c0ca2297d5d37.JPG

Thanks man!

Dude, the cutoff is sick at night and the streetlights are lit up like Charlie Sheen during the 80s, 90s, and 00s. And the angel eyes look better than any BMW I have seen.

I am so glad I did the USDM cutoff pattern conversion. If anyone ever states that it is a waste of time ignore them.

I thought the Morettes were already USDM light pattern? *scratches head* I'll have take another look.

BAH! That means I get to do the conversion all over again! Not sure what it'll entail with the Morettes, though.

• 3 weeks later...
oh, so i actually read the thread this time. ugh, sanding and polishing!!!!!!! yuck. @eekay, can you describe your process? (wet or dry? how did you polish?)

Haha. Yep! It's really time consuming. But, the outcome looks pretty neat, I think. What I ended up doing was using an oscillating tool (Bosch) with the small, triangular sander attachment and 80 grit dry paper to start. I worked all of the largest areas inside the lens to pretty much smooth and then moved to 220 dry paper to get it nice and even. After that, I used 500 grit dry paper to get it somewhat ready for the wet sanding. I then used 1000 first then 1500 wet in that order until I had a nice, shiny inner lens. After that, I used one of the $25 M3 headlight lens polishing kits you can get at (just about) any auto store and finished it up with that.

Hope that helps!

Archived