LegacyGT.com

Short ram intake no tune or spt

LivingLoud

So i had brought an extra stock intake to do the front panel mod which i did but wasn't satisfied i wanted to hear the swoosh...w/e u want to call it...so then i brought an adaptor for the maf sensor..bad idea damm thing had the sensor runnin my car rich or lean idk my mechanic told me i for got...

long story short i cut the factory one to get the holder for the maf sensor and i put a k&n on that thing and no sensor headaches...i got my damm swoosh with no spt intake or tune..my next thing is to try to make it a true cold air intake instead of sucking the hot air in ..

I will post pics tommorow

SWOOOSHHHHHHH

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/jwicked88/IMG_0136.jpg

Question?

Lookign for intake for my LGT since i may be going front mount due to ap stage 2 and worried about the factory IC self destructing.

On KS-Techs website they sell a CAI and in there notes it says "Requires no tuning" but everything i read says aftermarket intake needs a tune no ifs and or buts.

Why would they say this if per the masses it is required?

Topic has been covered hundreds of times. You don't need an after market intake until stage 3+ (turbo, injectors, fuel pump...) Stock airbox performs quite adequately below this. You want SWOOOSHHHHHHH, then you'll have to get an aftermarket intake... and that WILL require a tune unless you want to run lean. Period. It's your car. OP - Welcome to the forums... Sir. ;)

The spt also says "no CEL!" but hell, I'd still get a tune

Id rather keep the stock intake dont care about the "swoosh" at all but most of the FMIC kits i have seen need to have an aftermarket intake unfortunately. Id rather get a FMIC over a TMIC due to how the FMIC looks but if the intake is a major issue ill just get a TMIC.

Now changing the IC out for a bigger one do i need to have that tuned as well or will the AP Stage 2 work?

Id rather keep the stock intake dont care about the "swoosh" at all but most of the FMIC kits i have seen need to have an aftermarket intake unfortunately. Id rather get a FMIC over a TMIC due to how the FMIC looks but if the intake is a major issue ill just get a TMIC.

Now changing the IC out for a bigger one do i need to have that tuned as well or will the AP Stage 2 work?

did you even read your other stage 2 thread I posted in? I answered that question. I'm an advocate for the stock intake, that's why i got a racer-x FMIC. If you go from a tmic to a fmic, you'll need a tune, no matter if your already tuned, you'll need a retune. I believe the AP stg 2 is designed for a TMIC. An infamous tune is the way to go anyway, and saves mucho $$$

did you even read your other stage 2 thread I posted in? I answered that question. I'm an advocate for the stock intake, that's why i got a racer-x FMIC. If you go from a tmic to a fmic, you'll need a tune, no matter if your already tuned, you'll need a retune. I believe the AP stg 2 is designed for a TMIC. An infamous tune is the way to go anyway, and saves mucho $$$

No i did not see your response after i posted this morning thus why i said what i did. Sorry if that upset you :spin:. As you said i would rather KEEP my factory intake as stage 2 is as far as this car is going and the factory intake seems to be more than efficient for these power numbers. I did not know the Racer X kept the factory intake. I emailed him last night and he is currently out of stock so i was looking at other options. I was planning on getting a tune by infamous no matter which way i go as everyone has said to do it already but had some other questions i needed answers to before i went and bought parts blindly and nothign would work with each other.

Thanks for your help.

Topic has been covered hundreds of times. You don't need an after market intake until stage 3+ (turbo, injectors, fuel pump...) Stock airbox performs quite adequately below this. You want SWOOOSHHHHHHH, then you'll have to get an aftermarket intake... and that WILL require a tune unless you want to run lean. Period. It's your car. OP - Welcome to the forums... Sir. ;)

So i have no cel..So my car is running lean? ill have m mechanic (not subaru dealer) see if its running lean. Plus i cant get a tune because of warrenty.im not sure if it will void it so whatever i do to my car i have to be able to turn it back to stock before i take in to subaru dealer for repairs..

Just saw the pic. I like the gaps between the filter and pipe. classy......san diego

i was just in test phase but i see that u only out to drown me so ill let it be..Also yea it looks like gaps but its not i had to cut the filter rubber a lil bit to get it to fit..its on there super tight..:cool:

So i have no cel..So my car is running lean? ill have m mechanic (not subaru dealer) see if its running lean. Plus i cant get a tune because of warrenty.im not sure if it will void it so whatever i do to my car i have to be able to turn it back to stock before i take in to subaru dealer for repairs..

i was just in test phase but i see that u only out to drown me so ill let it be..Also yea it looks like gaps but its not i had to cut the filter rubber a lil bit to get it to fit..its on there super tight..:cool:

Yes, your car can run lean without a CEL. The MAF and its scaling is particular to the stock setup, anything else can throw fuel trims off. Its been tried and tested. FACT. Learning view can show this, and so can logging.

Secondly, a tune does not void warranty as the dealer is unable to see the ECU's map unless they ship it out to SOA.

I would highly recommend removing that. Besides the issues of engine management, the MAF will never get a good reading being so close to the filter. Way too much turbulence. There is more to intake design (especially on thses cars) than just cutting a tube and sticking on a filter.

The noise you want to hear could very well destroy your car. At a minimum you need to pull an LV.

Archived