LegacyGT.com

Tune Newbie

Pocono Legacy GT

I have never tuned a car before and have minor knowledge about tuning. Will I be able to get a custom turbo-back exhaust system installed and then buy the Cobb AccessPORT and tune my car properly? I have had a Cobb air intake installed and my gas mileage decreased a lot! I want to fix the gas mileage, gain power, and have a nice boxer rumble. Also, my friend wants to give me his manual boost controller. I was wondering if I should install that and be able to tune all this.

You're taking a real risk of ruining the motor by changing the intake without a tune.

Based on what you're looking at doing you should return to the stock intake immediately and sell the Cobb Air Intake to finance your other mods. If you simply want more noise, search this forum for removing the silencer from the stock intake.

If you want to do a turbo back you can do this with a Cobb AP and a Stage 2 map. You still will not need the Cobb Air Intake. Make sure you do both the up pipe and the downpipe. The up pipe has a cat that can grenade and take out your turbo & engine. You do not want to use the MBC, your stock system is better. Some nice features about the AP are that you don't need to carry around a laptop to log your car, you can use real time maps, and many Pro Tuners work with the AP rather than Open Source (www.romraider.com).

A lower cost option is going with open source tuning. If you have a laptop available you can get a Vag Com cable off ebay, download drivers and romraider, and get a tune from www.infamousperformance.net. You could also use a Tactrix cable as well, but it is also more expensive than the Vag Com cable, but supposedly more reliable/less hassle than the Vag Com for some users. You need to be a little more computer savvy to go this route, but it is a lot less costly.

I would do a lot more searching around the forum though before you just go out and start buying parts.

Yes, those are all do-able. However I suggest starting with the tuning now, rather than waiting until later.

If you're going to tune it yourself, consider using a Tactrix OpenPort rather than a Cobb AccessPort.

I spent $195 for the Cobb SRI. I don't think I can sell it now. Will it hurt if I keep it on and just tune? I had read before I purchased the intake that Cobb and SPT made their intakes specifically for are Subaru's and will not damage our engines. As for a tune, I don't know if I would be experienced enough to tune with laptop software unless it's easy. My friend has the AccessPORT at like Stage III and seems very easy to use. At this point, I just want to fix my gas mileage, keep the whoosing sound, and add on a exhaust with some noticeable power and I will end at that.

Still think you should sell the Cobb intake and use it to finance your other aspirations. The stock air box will not hurt your performance at all with the mods you want, and if you do the silencer removal you should still hear some woosh. If that amount of woosh is still not enough, you could add an AEM panel filter to even a little more woosh (but should get tuned for it).

Cobb has flip / flopped on the the intake recommendations, and if you read the current release notes for the Legacy GT Stage 2 map it says:

Additional modifications such an underdrive pulley or panel filter are still within the acceptable parameters of this calibration. MUST USE FACTORY INTAKE SYSTEM ONLY. NO OTHER AFTERMARKET INTAKES ARE CERTIFIED COMPATIBLE WITH THIS CALIBRATION. Best if used with 93 or 94 octane. If any detonation is present even when using 93 or 94 octane, try using octane booster or flashing a Stage2 91 MTv100 or Stage2 ACN91 MTv100 reflash map. Keep in mind Subaru recommends 93 octane for even a STOCK STi.

Link:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=5092

If you want to keep the COBB intake and still go with the AP you would be safer if you got tuned specifically for it ($150 from www.infamousperformance.net). Do people get away without doing this, yes but its a risk I wouldn't take myself (i.e. motor damage). If you stick with just stock air box and silencer removal all you have to do is load Cobb's Stage 2 map and you should be good to go. I like my AP a lot and am glad I went with it over open source despite the extra $$$'s.

Stage2 93 MTv101 3.pdf

Ok so, after reading your suggestions I have changed a lot of thought. I am looking to keep my Cobb Air Intake System installed, get a custom turbo-back exhaust system installed, use the Tactrix cable to copy all my factory settings and then create a list of my Cobb SRI and custom exhaust parts and send them to infamousperformance. Do I have to purchase their maps first, then do that? They will send me a re-flashed version of my map? Then when I receive it, use EcuFlash software to re-flash my ECU and that's that?

Send Infamous a list of modifications for you car first. He'll create a map for you to flash. Then he will work through several iterations until your car is right. He starts very conservative which is great to keep your car safe.

Archived