LegacyGT.com

Do MAFs wear out?

Just had the MAF die on our 99 OB with 190k miles. Found a guy parting out a 96 OB with 175k miles, so bought his MAF for $20. Part numbers were identical.

So here's the question: Do MAFs wear out?

If MAF failures are random I'll just keep driving the 99 with the used MAF. This is my understanding of the nature of MAF failures.

But if I'm wrong they wear out due to old age and high mileage, which could mean we're on borrowed time, maybe we should start shopping for a good deal on a new MAF.

• I Donated

You're on borrowed time with ANY car part...new or used. However, a used one is likely to fail sooner than a new one.

mass airflow sensors really dont wear out...they just kind of speraticly go bad

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I had to replace my MAF twice. The first time is like you stated it went bad. The Second time my idiot friend broke it. Lets just say I wasnt too happy. I bought used MAFs both times, and I will repeat what was stated. Used is a cheaper option to get through a couple of months to a year with a vehicle. If you want to keep the car for a long time, then buy a brand new sensor.

MAFs can go bad and do, but i do not think it is a common problem. so buying a used one is a fairly safe bet.

o2 sensors seem to have a 150k life expectancy, but i do not think the same is true for the MAF.

i have a 95 lego with 207k which i have owned since 75k and it has the original MAF with no ills. this is not a wear item like an o2 sensor.

Well, now that the car's running, and running pretty well at that, I'm going to leave the used MAF sensor in the car. I'm also going to try and pick up another used MAF if I can get another for $20 or so. (There's another local guy parting out a 98 who has the MAF.)

We are probably going to keep the car until it dies, but as my 18 year old son is the main driver, it is likely to die of some kind of impact failure before a used MAF sensor would die.

I know what you folks mean about the O2 and some of the other sensors. We bought the car with 165k miles with a bad front O2 sensor. The rear O2 sensor and knock sensor both failed before 170k miles.

something such as water somehow hitting any part of it while it's hot can burn out the filaments and kill it. random things like that can happen

I had to replace the maf on my 96. I was pretty sure it went bad due to water getting in there after I de-snork'd it.

I want to clean my MAF sensor. I bought some MAF cleaner, but am a n00b. All I know is that it should have two screws and a clip so even I can I should be able to do that.

Where specifically can I find the sensor on my 2006 Legacy GT?

Thanks!

I want to clean my MAF sensor. I bought some MAF cleaner, but am a n00b. All I know is that it should have two screws and a clip so even I can I should be able to do that.

Where specifically can I find the sensor on my 2006 Legacy GT?

Thanks!

should be right after the air box.

...at least that's where it is on BD's.

Archived