LegacyGT.com

Engine help

Hey all.

Just got back from the mechanic after my '90 Legacy wagon was burning oil on a long road trip. He says he thinks it's a busted piston/ring, but that the car's not worth digging into to fix it.

I love this car. And I have no money right now, so my question for the experienced is, how difficult is it to tear down the engine and replace these parts myself? I figured Legacy people were more likely to be able to tell me whether or not the process is going to be feasible.

Many thanks for any help y'all can give.

~Shane

Well if you have a book and some time I'm sure you could do it. Pulling the motor would be pretty easy. I've never actually replace a piston ring other then the school I graduated from. I think you need a few special tools but the book would tell you

your better off finding a complete engine, faster and cheaper than what you want to achieve.

I was thinking that might be the case....what kinds of places would I start looking to find a complete engine? I'm in the Portland, Oregon area, if that makes any difference...

Annoying...took it to my regular mechanic and he says it's a rod bearing. still wants to rebuild the engine for around 2,000. I've never had to replace an engine, obviously...does what he's saying make sense? why not just fix the issue rather than total rebuild?

Annoying...took it to my regular mechanic and he says it's a rod bearing. still wants to rebuild the engine for around 2,000. I've never had to replace an engine, obviously...does what he's saying make sense? why not just fix the issue rather than total rebuild?

What I mean is, he wants to put in another used engine, not rebuild mine. I guess what I'm really asking is, would it be better to rebuild mine? He'd be swapping half of my engine components over anyway, the ones that are still good.

Just stressin' a little. :confused:

Rebuilding a motor is expensive, but it does give piece of mind of knowing how long it will last. Just swapping a motor it way quicker and more cost effective, most of the time about half the cost. The EJ22's are hard to break, swap in a low mileage junk yard motor and drive it till it dies.

I guess he wants to rebuild the whole thing to maintain the balance. To get to the crankshaft you have to tear apart the entire engine block anyway. Literally to the point where the block is in half. It's a pain and it would be best to replace everything while you're in there. And it's a lot of parts that aren't exactly cheap. Then you look at labor on top of that and yeah, I could see it adding up to $2,000 pretty quick.

On that note I side with the junk engine. Sometimes you can find ones that are still in the car and have them run it for you. Rev it up to 5 grand and look for smoke. Listen for knocking, crank bearings...well, anything weird. They're cheap, effective and a lot easier to change out than doing something with the crank or pistons.

Archived