LegacyGT.com

AC not that cold

I haven't been very happy with the AC in my 06 Legacy. Even when it's 75 outside the AC has to be cranked up just to stay cool. I even recharged it this spring. My 98 OBW with 223k has colder AC!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

its been said but no one reads anything they just post away:spin:

Sorry I don't live on this forum anymore.

I will take it to the dealer sometime next week when I do my first oil change to see what they say. They better not give me some BS answer. I will update you guys on what happened.

• 10 months later...

sry if i'm hijacking this thread but i have a same problem. had someone check the a/c and everything seemed to be fine.

my other problem is (on my 05 lgt) i notice that a/c compressor comes on and off constantly. It's like every min or so it will turn off then turn on. I'm afraid it will wear out a/c clutch plus it's constantly putting more stress on accessories.

Anyone else with this problem? or if you can point me to a thread if it exists. I tried searching :(

Like I said in my previous post, a had a friend check it out already. He explained to my how much freon was filled, something if it were 100F i'd have to put it on max to cool the cabin or similar, can't remember exactly, but he said he wouldn't fill it in more to avoid braking the a/c compressor.

I talked to some engineers they think it's the relay, a coild inside keeps heating up and it cuts the power to a/c compressor, then it makes contact again and powers up the a/c compressor. He also said it will cause premature wear on a/c clutch hence why I asked if anyone noticed this issue and if this is a common problem on legacy.

As for frequency, i'd say it cuts on and off every about minute or so.

• I Donated
My AC is not so good. Also I can see it blowing from the vents sometimes which I've never seen in cars before.

My G20 did that. Its AC wasn't so good either. :lol: I think that happens when the AC doesn't properly remove the humidity from the air.

Agreed every minute or so is normal operation. If it were cycling every 5 sec then you would have an issue but as stated the compressor is meant to cycle on and off depending on the pressure in the system. You have no issues stop worrying.

As for seeing it come out of your vents that can be normal on very humid days the ac has 2 goals. Cooling the air and removing moisture from the air. The ac evaporator is cold the air hitting it is warm and full of moisture causing the moisture that is at that time a gas to turn into a liquid and condensate on the evaporator. So occasionally you may get a mist of moisture out of your vents. Nothing to abnormal. Wouldn't worry to much about it.

Yea mine does it as well. Only on extremely humid days. And the number of vents shouldn't make any difference.

Mist coming from the vents can be a sigh of a blocked evap drain tube. The cold air across the coil is picking up water from the drain pan.

If it is a once in a while thing on startup during a real humid day, no worry.

Mist coming from the vents can be a sigh of a blocked evap drain tube. The cold air across the coil is picking up water from the drain pan.

If it is a once in a while thing on startup during a real humid day, no worry.

True but usually a clogged drain tube will eventually cause water to run out Ono your floor board.

Only on extremely humid days. And the number of vents shouldn't make any difference.

^^This.

The mist is dependent on the relative humidity & the geometry of the air to refrigerant heat exchanger. Since the A/C coil in the airstream is extremely cold, it will condense humidity out of the air during normal operation.

However, there needs to be a certain amount of air to coil "contact time" to properly get all the humidity out of the air. This can be done with a deep or multi-pass heat exchanger, but a lot of manufacturers are going away from these as they cause a larger air-side pressure drop and therefore need a larger fan. If there is not enough contact time on the coil, it cools the air stream to below the dew point and the water vapor condenses in the air to form the mist.

So, either the LGT's cooling coil is not deep enough to get out all the condensate, or you should check your air filters. This situation could easily be caused by insufficient air flow in the cooling system (a blocked or clogged coil or filter). When there is too little air flow across the coil the condensate will start to freeze to your coils blocking the airflow even further. Subaru cabin filters are notoriously a pain in the ass to get to, so they will often not be replaced (I know replacing the cabin filter was part of the 90k service in my WRX, though I am not sure when it is supposed to be changed on Legacies).

Archived