LegacyGT.com

Can someone identify what this noise is?

drkknight99

Been having this noise, and can only hear it at idle, with the clutch disengaged. With the clutch engaged (or pushed in) i no longer hear the noise. Does not matter if I am in gear or not.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-b7cc56f8.html

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-9147a626.html

Ive attached downloads for the sound clips. Let me know if you cant hear them. They were recorded off my droid, and are in mp3 format.

It sounds like a rattling noise, almost like a heat shield is loose.

Would the dealer need to take the whole trans apart to find and see if it is the throw out bearing?

I ask because my car has been at the dealer for 4 days now, and from what i am being told, by the dealer, is that the trans has been removed and is in pieces now.

I just want to confirm, and maybe help push along the investigation. Shitty to be without your own car, and driving an 11 cvt outback...

I hope you got the car back, Any updates ?

If it's the TOB, All they had to do was remove the tranny replace the TOB and reinstall the tranny. A Stealership should be able to do that in a day or less.

I pulled and installed mine in less then 8 hours. That was my first time with a Subaru.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Damage to the throw out bearing is visible as soon as the transmission is removed. The throw out bearing rides on the transmission snout which is inside the bell housing between the transmission and motor.

The update so far is: They are not sure if it is the throwout bearing, they are 90% sure thats the cause of the noise, and are going to replace it, put everything back together and test it out. I've been without the car for about a week now.

I'm starting to get annoyed, and thinking maybe its time to sell i think.....

Hope they fix it soon, the 2011 outback loaner they gave me is killing me. Even if it is comfortable......

update #2:

I picked up the car today, and they replaced the Throw out bearing. The transmission is nice and stiff, and that noise is gone. But now there is a new noise, not sure what to make of it, and not sure how to reproduce it, but it is a popping noise, and i can feel that popping noise in the clutch pedal as well.

• 2 weeks later...

had the same noise with my car and another 05 GT.

the noise is from the shift fork making intermittent contact with the throw out bearing.

hate to say it, but on both our cars, the noise was fixed without transmission removal. swapping the TOB will fix the noise, but most likely because everything gets lubed during the swap.

the problem happens when the lube between the pivot ball and fork cakes or dries out. when this happens, the return spring isn't strong enough to push the fork far enough back to clear the bearing. I re-lubricated the pivot points by pulling off the rubber boot between the fork and bellhousing. once it is off, you can snake a straw down to the edge of the pivot point. I just dropped a glob of moly paste on top of the ball and dripped a little penetrating oil on top of it.

when you first drive the car after the lube, don't be too alarmed by a pulsating feeling in the clutch pedal. that's just the fork sticking and slipping as the lube works its way in. after about a dozen pedal pushes, the pulsation and noise will go away.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm having an issue with this type of noise as you describe initially. I listened to the audios and could not really hear that it was the same, maybe because of the wind, or not being able to see what I was hearing (if that makes sense). With mine, it only happens when the car is cold, and as you describe, with the clutch out (pedal not depressed). As I make my way to work, it quiets down in about 5 minutes or so. There are no problems with slipping or clutch feel, or performance. What Bugblatterbeast says makes some sense to me and sounds like a reasonable place to start looking. Maybe I'll post a video this upcoming weekend. I have not been under this car for anything transmission related, except to change the differential fluid, so it will be me looking all around trying to understand what you are saying first, before I go glopping any grease in there. Ed.

Archived