LegacyGT.com

ABS delete ?

Take this comment at face value, it was a long time ago and I havent seen under the hood of a gen 2 in a couple years, but I believe there's a ground wire on the passenger side front of the engine bay out in the open. If I recall correctly, detatch that ground and your abs shuts off.

• I Donated
You need to understand there is no reason to remove your abs unless you're going for weight reduction for a racecar, or if you think you're some amazing driver. I don't care if you're Colin McRae, it's dumb to remove your ABS.

You can drive a car with ABS the same way you can drive a car without ABS. So... why don't you just do that?

This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read.

Personally, I can stop a non-ABS car more efficiently then I can an ABS car.

ABS has been put into vehicles because the majority of drivers on the road don't have any idea what to do with their cars in emergency situations. The general thought of most people is "The harder I push my brakes, the faster I'll stop!". Things don't work this way. People don't take into account the grip of their tires, geometries of suspension, etc. You have to both know your car, and know how to use your brakes to be able to safely apply non-ABS brakes.

If PROPERLY used, a non-ABS brake system is more efficient and safer then an ABS system. Cars have ABS for the "greater good".

And no way can you drive an ABS car the same way as a non-ABS car. This is spoken like a truly inexperienced driver. My non-ABS Legacy will stop in a MUCH shorter distance in ANY type of conditions then your ABS Legacy will. Do you know why??? Because I actually know how to properly use my brakes.

Just remember that there is a reason why people who run Autocross...or any other motorsport for that matter either remove or disable the ABS system. Its not really for weight reduction (as it only removed a few lbs)...its because when properly applied, non-ABS brakes are much safer.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

No... people remove ABS in motorsports because they are trail braking into corners (which has been proven that when done properly, is the fastest way around a corner), and ABS doesn't play any role because they aren't slamming on the brakes to lock up the tires. THAT is how you can drive a non abs car teh same as an abs car.

No... people remove ABS in motorsports because they are trail braking into corners (which has been proven that when done properly, is the fastest way around a corner), and ABS doesn't play any role because they aren't slamming on the brakes to lock up the tires. THAT is how you can drive a non abs car teh same as an abs car.

You are wrong.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• I Donated

so if ABS has nothing to do with track driving, why do they remove it then? Or why do they pull the fuse to disable it?

hmm...something doesnt add up

go to google and type in "why remove abs". educate yourself a little bit

Info HERE

For hard edge driving performance it [abs] actually becomes a hinderance and can increase stopping distances.

I don't mean to come off as a douche....wait....yes I do

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

For weight reduction. edit: and for the few of you who are as skilled a driver as you say you are, for stopping distances.

okay look, all of my beliefs about ABS set aside, if you are removing ABS for AUTOCROSS... you have your priorities mixed up lol.

If you are to that point in driver ability/motorsports, you probably wouldn't be doing Autocross anymore except for fun and racing it in your DD.

I am going to use the example of "Super Lap Battle" at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah, because I personally know a few of the drivers that race in this event.

All of the cars that I know the drivers of, still have their ABS and it's not disabled. Brett Bell, his STI is right on the line between street class and race class, and it still has ABS. Brody Hamblin, his full built WRX (was featured on the cover of Modified Magazine a few months back) still has ABS. Both of these cars and drivers have been racing for awhile now.

If you are disabling your ABS for "function", I lol at you. If you are disabling it for the fun aspect, I can understand that.

• I Donated

Like I have said before, a non-ABS brake system is MUCH more effective then an ABS system if its properly applied. Not only in motor sports, but in every day driving as well.

I can stop a non-abs Legacy in a considerably shorter distance then I can stop an ABS Legacy. I know this because I've tested this theory with someone local who was saying the same garbage as you are. In every driving condition, I was able to better control a Legacy without ABS.

Not to mention - when I was in high school drivers ed, we were taught that the best way to stop a car is with "threshold braking". You can't threshold brake with ABS.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Also, read the first half of the first sentence in "summary".

"Removing the ABS isn't likely to be practical for most people". This is a nicer way of putting what I have been trying to say. If somebody is asking how to disable ABS, they lack the skills to google search, which makes me think they lack the skills in driver ability.

edit: I know that I lack the driver skill to be able to utilize trail braking/non-abs. I can stop better with ABS than with no ABS. Because well, I'm not a racecar driver. I'm a decent driver, but definitely not the best. Removing ABS for me wouldn't be practical. And it isn't practical for 90% of the drivers out there.

• I Donated
Like I had said in a previous post, ABS is for the "greater good". If properly used, a non-ABS system functions much better then an ABS system.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

so if ABS has nothing to do with track driving, why do they remove it then? Or why do they pull the fuse to disable it?

hmm...something doesnt add up

go to google and type in "why remove abs". educate yourself a little bit

Info HERE

I don't mean to come off as a douche....wait....yes I do

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/140/060/1308942515001.jpg?1308984567

It is indeed possible to threshold brake with functioning ABS.

Not correctly, it isn't. ABS, in most cars (Subaru included), will intervene before the true threshold point. This is especially true with aggressive pads and sticky tires.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• I Donated
It is indeed possible to threshold brake with functioning ABS.

OK then lol. Go ahead and test that theory.

Care to explain how that works?

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Care to explain how that works?

I can!

It doesn't.

Archived