LegacyGT.com

coilovers no bars?

This may be a dumb question, but that's okay because I'm dumb. My friend has an 09 wrx and 05 wrx with BC coilovers and stock sway bars on both, they handle on rails and barely sway, do you think you could get away with using bc coilovers on a stiff (obv damper not spring rate) setting and no sway bars? Just a thought and was wondering if anyone tried this....and yes I know the legacy is heavier than the wrx :rolleyes:

You can do it with stiff coilovers. That's how the people had to do it with my last car, maxima. No one made a replacement front bar and the rear bars people would add on would cause binding in the rear suspension.

Whitetiger is running without a front sway bar on a coilover setup. Hopefully he chimes in and can give you more info about it. Or you can shoot him a pm.

Chime!

yes, i have no front bar, and stock rear bar. But i also have 11.5K front / 12.5K rear spring rates (with proper dampening from AST 4100 dampers). My car has less roll than my old tein flex setup (8k/9k rates) with 25mm bars F/R and it rides better too.

better to control roll with springs/struts anyways than have bars that remove suspension independence.

Well I already have rallitek bars and springs since my car came with them from the PO. It's a harsh ride on stock struts which got me thinking about CO's, then i remembered how my friend's car drove with them. I like the idea that you eliminate the whole bar and endlinks all together- less parts, less worry about clunks and squeaks lol.

I had a jeep once and completely removed the front and rear sways and it drove SO much better over bumps- however not so safe on the highway.

Whitetiger, any idea what the bias would be without bars? Probably oversteer eh?

depends on your spring rates. removing bars also increases your grip limit for uber traction.

fyi, i do not recommend taking your bars out unless you have significantly increased your spring rates. no aftermarket "lowering" bolt on spring will be stiff enough. id only consider this if you have coilovers with stiffer spring rates to compensate for the lack of roll bars. my springs and dampers now are so sitff that i lift the front inside wheel when cornering. removing the front sway keeps both wheels on the ground and lets me use my front LSD to its intended purpose.

Archived