LegacyGT.com

Pulling a lot of timing

MasAyinde

So I'm still touching up my stage 1 map, and I seem to be always pulling timing between 1.1 and 1.95 load and between 2400 and 3600 rpm. There is knocking there in the last few revisions I have made (14th or 15th) When I look back at the logs, I had hit all of those cells on the second revision of this tune and there was no knock. Now, I noticed the A/F learning was off a couple weeks ago so I checked and saw that the air filter had not been replaced, which means that the 90k service was not done. This means the spark plugs weren't changed. I will change them, but can old spark plugs have this effect on knock? I don't know if I should flash back to an older revision with more aggressive timing after I change my plugs or if I should keep pulling timing little by little with the current revision. Any thoughts?

I don't know if spark plugs will affect knock. But it might help if you set your CL/OL delays to zero - that will cause the AFR to richen up more quickly when you transition from cruise to boost, and that's probably what's happening when you're the RPM/Load range that you're talking about.

Are you tuning your car, or is someone tuning it for you? I suggest you replace your plugs now, then work on your timing table again.

Airflow can affect knock, so make sure that's good for a while before you go crazy with the timing table as well.

Archived