LegacyGT.com

Intake w/o tune

magnoon

installed spt intake, but w/o tune. i reset the ecu, the car seems to be running fine but the forum seems to say that I am "running lean"... two questions:

1) what is running lean??

2) am i causing any damage to my engine, even though the car seems to be running fine?

I am no mechanic but here are my thoughts....

1- lean means having too much air in your air-to-fuel mix, I think you are better off rich than lean.

2- yes it can be bad, just because the car "seems" to be running fine, doesn't really mean anything. Don't be cheap with a car, spend extra money to buy a cable and tune for the car. You probably would have been better off spending the money on the tune as opposed to the cai.

running lean = too much air not enough fuel.

Damages? Leaner fuel mixtures are more prone to pre-detonation. Which can lead to a cracked piston ringland. Which means new motor.

^ +1 Never add an intake to a Subaru without getting a tune.

If you simply want more noise there's a thread on removing the intake silencer:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/intake-silencer-removal-walk-through-110580.html?t=110580&highlight=silencer+removal

Also the SPT is one of the worst intakes you can add due to problems with where it positions the sensor. It is supposedly worse than the stock intake if you do some searching.

Everyone here will tell you the same thing. Put the stock intake back on until you can get a tune. Better safe than sorry and the job will only take a few minutes anyway. In addition I would sell your SPT intake and get a K&N, AEM or Perrin. Basically anything but the SPT. I'm not the saltiest dude here when it comes to Subarus so don't take my word as gospel but I wouldn't ignore it either. Happy tuning! :-)

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

done... stock is back on, will be selling the SPT, reccomendations?

COBB SF or K&N??

I like the KSTech having tried most of the major intakes at this point.

The Cobb with airbox is a good choice as well.

If you are not getting a custom tune, then stay with the stock intake. Anything other than stock needs a tune. I should also add that the stock intake is not bad, plenty of people run lots of power with the stock intake. If you want more noise, I vote for a panel filter for the time being.

If you are getting a tune and absolutely want an intake, the K&N, AEM, and KSTech all get good reviews and I would stick with one of those.

if the car has an aftermarket intake without a tune, would everybody reccomend just going stage 1 and getting a tune for it?

There are benefits going to stage 1, the car will run smoother and feel better in the mid-range. At stage 1 levels, an intake is not needed, though the car will sound more fun... you will hear the turbo and bypass valve more, which some people like [raises hand]. It definitely adds more 'spunk' to the sedan. I recommend getting this tune from Shamar at Infamous Tuning, the price is better and more justifiable IMO.

if the car has an aftermarket intake without a tune, would everybody reccomend just going stage 1 and getting a tune for it?

Yes, seeing as stage 1 is a tune. I see your in RI, according to your info, take a ride up this way and visit Brentuning.

SPT is far from my favorite. But, it does not violate Subaru warranty, lol. In all reality design of SPT is an attempt to richen mixture. Subaru made the MAF tube size different. This "tricks" the ECU and can cause the ecu to richen the mixture. Subaru then "assumes" this is safe. Problem is MAF placement in a turn and air turbulence around MAF causing bad readings.

With that said. No intake is needed at stage1 or 2. If you desire a noise maker, Cobb claims to not need a tune (but it is recommended). K&N is extremely stable and very popular. KSTech is far too large for a stage1 or2 car. Even many stage3 cars do not need a 73mm intake. Although it is what is currently in my own car, LOL.

Yes, seeing as stage 1 is a tune. I see your in RI, according to your info, take a ride up this way and visit Brentuning.

yea i guess i will be. what is needed to go stage 1 is it just an ap and a tune? and would it be possible to go stage1 in one day or is it an overtime thing because the less trips to MA the better

There are many ways to get a "tune".

1) Get an ACCESSPort and use the Stage 1 maps that are included with it.

2) Get a Tactrix or in your case a VAG-COM cable and, using a laptop or netbook, load a stage 1 map you purchase via email from a tuner (known as an Open Source "etune").

3) Get an AP and purchase a custom AP etune from a tuner.

4) Go to the tuner and have them tune on a dyno or on the road (commonly called a "Protune" or a "road tune").

There's lots more information on all these options in the "Tuning" discussions here.

Cheers!

Just throwing an though here but isn't that the purpose of the learned fuel trims to correct AF mixture to the desired ratio?

If you throw on an intake without a tune would'nt the fuel trims just learn and correct themselves with time to run a safe AF ratio? Or is it that an intake requires more than 20% correction?

yea i guess i will be. what is needed to go stage 1 is it just an ap and a tune? and would it be possible to go stage1 in one day or is it an overtime thing because the less trips to MA the better

Stage 1 is just a tune. Bren does all his tuning via opensource. So no overpriced access ports are needed. And yes 1 day, shouldn't take too long seeing as it's just a basic stage1 tune.

It is that the MAF calculation is incorrect no matter what. If you change the size of the tube containing the MAF sensor the sensor and ECU do not know and can not compensate. That and turbulance caused by poor MAF placement makes readings erratic.

MAF requires re-scaling with intakes.

The typhoon was one of my first mods. Ran the piss out of the car it took it fine.

thats good to hear since ive put about 20k on the car(typhoon/no tune). Are there any common problems people normally face after going stage 1 or is it all hunky-dory?

OK OK....so i've been reading back and forth on this topic I just picked up a SPT intake and airbox...was it the best decision who knows but i got a great deal on a brand new one and I want to make the most out of my purchase, what should be my next step??? My 05 LGT is bone stock and I want to start building hopefully an AP, BOV, DP, and exaust by the end of the summer...but should I wait for the AP before I slap on the SPT intake???

AP will not help. Nothing but a custom tune will. If you have plans of stage2, then might as well wait until you have everything, install and tune all at one time.

The SPT is like a tattoo. Cheap is not good and good is not cheap. Sometimes saving your money is a better decision.

Archived