LegacyGT.com

Huge scratch on my rear bumper: how to repaint ?

f1anatic

Huge scratch on muh reah bumpuh ! I am ready to commit crimes against humanity to punish the perpetrator ! But (s)he ran away and crawled back into the sewer (s)he came from ! Happened in the parking lot at work.

I am so...distraught that just forgive my probable topic repeat:

How do you paint Obsidian Black Pearl ? The insurance should cover it...but anyways...that is getting painted or else I cannot sleep at night (already a sleepless one). It only needs repainting (primer, sanding, paint, clear coat)

- Will the Subaru dealership do it ( I doubt it and they would refer me to a body shop) ?

- I probably buy the paint from Subaru ? (really useless to ask how much...it just has to be bought)

- Do I have to buy the clear coat as well or any generic clear coat ?

- How many coats = layers of paint and clear coat go over our cars ?

- With poor paint quality as we know it...are there any specific instructions about drying it out ?

- Anything else I should know ?

I have a good body shop/ general mechanics where I have sadly been a preferred customer for 9 years with many cars. And always went home at least 100% happy. Any special instructions I should give them ? And any advice on fighting the insurance ?

Thanks. :redface::redface:

I had my rear bumper estimated at my dealer to repair a couple of paint scratches from a very minor slow-speed rear end accident and it came out to $420 total which includes:

- removal of bumper

- two-stage repaint

- re-installation of bumper

So it should be about the same for you as long as all it needs is a repaint and the bumper is not permanently physically damaged, e.g. deep gouges.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

well a good thing's that there r no dents. I have the same problem as you except its on the front bumper, I thought about repainting but stupid ppl will keep smashing it so whats the point. But since your's is the rear bumper, you should maybe try waxing (80% chance it wont work) but if it does then thats great, if not, look for a quote at some body shop.

Dealers usually paint stuff but they charge alot extra in my opinion, so a workshop or Macco maybe? I know that they offer good prices here.

If it wasn't your fault then it doesn't usually do anything to your premiums unless this kind of stuff seems to be happening all the time. One claim on damage made while your car was parked isn't going to matter. However, the damage is likely less than your deductible is, so filing with your insurance probably won't be necessary. Most rear bumpers are only going to cost 3 or 4 hundred dollars to repaint. I've dealt with repairing stuff like this before simply because a body shop was too much for them and the insurance premium was more than the damage. So I just touch that kind of stuff up or airbrush it and it goes away. On black its even easier and not as expensive. It would have been a couple hundred more if this had happened to a white car simply because the paint is so much harder to match. Most of your expense will actually be tied up in clear coat.

I wouldn't worry about fighting the insurance. Don't even let them know about it until you have some quotes. Even if you don't make a claim they still make a note of it in your file. The fact that damage occured and you repaired it will go on the record of the car and I'm sure they'll use it against you someday. Like I said, the damage is probably less than your deductible. Unless there is major body work to be done then its not likely you have more than $500 worth of damage.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

You should of just take it to your preferred body shop if you know them for so long. Ask them for an estimate before going the insurance route. If your deductible is higher than the cost then it's obvious to pay yourself.

Archived