LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT vs. 2.5i question...

I have a 2008 2.5i Limited which I like a lot as a DD. It's automatic trans., which I drive either in manual shift mode, or in Sport Auto mode. (I never drive it in regular auto mode, shifts too early).

My dealer happens to have a used 2009 Legacy GT 5-speed auto for a good price. Is it worth the trade-up? I've read about the turbo lag, espec. in auto trans, and wonder if it would be a waste of money, the increased power benefit vs. the trade-in loss... (btw...I've already upgraded the suspension and the stereo in my car.)

As an aside, I don't like the Gen. 5 Legacy, and would never trade in for the newer model...

well you can beat a 2.5 i and get good mpg's , and baby a 2.5 gt to get ok mpg.

its just gonna cost you more gas .. so if thats not a problem for you go nuts !

just don't expect us to feel sory for you after you get it and start posting trying to get better mpg's

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Just remember, if you don't jump on it don't ask about putting a turbo on your 2.5i.

FWIW, I average about 22-24 MPG over the course of 4000-5000 miles. Can you go back to stock on your 2.5i and just move the suspension/audio upgrades to the GT?

Most importantly, is it in your budget when the mod bug hits?

Only you can decide if its worth it. Expect to get about 23-24 mpg in mixed driving. If you're thinking of taking the trade-up hit, you might consider trying to find a manual. On the other hand if your dealer is willing to give you a good deal...

29 is impressive...I manage 27 on highway trips.

the more you baby a 2.5 turbo the more it becomes mpg like a 2.5i ..

but if you start beating on the 2.5 turbo its will take double of the 2.5i

this is obvious in pure city driving.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I think its simple, would you prefer to smile when you see how good mpg you got for a tank, or smile every day when the boost hits and the other cars get really small in the rearview mirror, quickly

^ emphasis added LOL

I have a 2.5I se, and am in the process of trading in for a GT limited with AT. I would love a 5-speed or 6-speed, but my wife cannot drive a stick, and in the case she would have to drive it (the world would have to be coming to an end) at least she could. I want the ability to smile daily. Although i have had 34.6 mpg on the high way in the N/A legacy!

^ Hwy mpg isnt that bad as long and you keep the speed reasonable you can still get high 20's. City driving is another story, high teens are possible. And stg 2 adds powar and minimally affect mpg. Unless you fall in love w/ the boost then all bets are off

^yeah e85 is fun but sucks down the gas. I got 15mpg on my 1st e85 tankful, at least is was mostly city driving, and fun driving at that

Also LosAngelesLGT when you have more tq than most full size trucks, why wouldnt the mpg be similar :eek::cool:

I have a 2.5I se, and am in the process of trading in for a GT limited with AT. I would love a 5-speed or 6-speed, but my wife cannot drive a stick, and in the case she would have to drive it (the world would have to be coming to an end) at least she could. I want the ability to smile daily. Although i have had 34.6 mpg on the high way in the N/A legacy!

You're getting a slushbox only so your wife can maybe possibly someday drive it if and only if the world is coming to an end?

Seriously?

:spin::nono:

I mean, if you intend to share the car frequently and she refuses to learn stick, that's one thing. But if she's not going to drive it...WHY??? :(

I have a 2008 2.5i Limited which I like a lot as a DD. It's automatic trans., which I drive either in manual shift mode, or in Sport Auto mode. (I never drive it in regular auto mode, shifts too early).

My dealer happens to have a used 2009 Legacy GT 5-speed auto for a good price. Is it worth the trade-up? I've read about the turbo lag, espec. in auto trans, and wonder if it would be a waste of money, the increased power benefit vs. the trade-in loss... (btw...I've already upgraded the suspension and the stereo in my car.)

I owned a 5MT LGT and I've driven the 5EAT. I'd rather have a 5MT 2.5i than a slushbox 2.5GT, especially with the cost savings factored in. No joke.

If you want turbo with an automatic, look into the VW/Audi DSG cars, some can be had with AWD too. Or get something with a bigger N/A engine.

Sorry 5EAT folks, I know you like your cars, but that's how I felt about the turbo + slushbox combination. It felt much slower than the 5MT (stock for stock), and the lack of responsiveness sapped most of the sportiness out of the car. That's true of almost any slushbox vs manual comparison, but the turbo really emphasized it. With the 5MT it was natural and fun to stay in the powerband. With the 5EAT it was difficult and felt like work.

Unless your 2.5i is paid for OR the LGT is on the cheap end this deal is going to be costly. The dealer gives no value to a used 2.5i even in the best of conditions.

If you can make it work where you aren't out of pocket too much money I say go for it. A base LGT gives 10 times the upgrade potential (power wise) than a boosted 2.5i, if that is your thing.

My reason for wanting the switch is the added power when you need it (freeway passing, hills and acceleration from 45mph upward :)

My reason for wanting the switch is the added power when you need it (freeway passing, hills and acceleration from 45mph upward :)

^+1. same for me. I had an NA before and I could not do such thing safely at times due to lack of power.

We have both, there is absolutely no comparison... the NA car get fair gas mileage and is "peppy" for what it is, the GT has power there all the time and can get "ok" mileage.. I average about 22mpg with beating on it regularly... the GT requires premium...

I avg 26.3 since I bought my 06 2.5i SE 5MT. My wife can't drive it, but because of that she never bugs me to borrow my car.

If I lived in a more urban area I would probably hate the NA. There have been a couple close instances where I needed to accelerate to avoid an accident because the person behind me wasn't paying attention or to merge onto a filled 55MPH freeway and extra power would be very helpful.

But then again, I have cheaper insurance, lower maintenance costs, and a cheaper fuel bill.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived